No shell when executing script

ornediaz
2008-03-26
2013-03-15
  • ornediaz
    ornediaz
    2008-03-26

Hi:

I am beginning to use pydev with Eclipse on Windows XP. I manage to execute scripts. I know I do because, when I write commands to make a window pop up, the window pops up. However, when I write "print" commands the output of such commands appears nowhere. What is going on?

• Fabio Zadrozny
      Fabio Zadrozny
      2008-03-27

Hi,

I'm not exactly sure what can happen there... do you have the console view showing (menu: window > show view > console)?

Usually it appears whenever any output is given (unless it's configured differently).... Did you follow the getting started tutorial to see if all is well configured? http://www.fabioz.com/pydev/manual_101_root.html

Cheers,

Fabio

• ornediaz
      ornediaz
      2008-03-28

Thanks,

I found that shell was working properly. The problem was is that I was executing matplotlib commands, and I had print statements after them. The execution was blocking, i.e., after the graphs were shown, nothing appears in the command line.

This has made me consider whether Pydev is appropriate for someone like me, seeking an IDE for Python as a replacement to MATLAB.

I think Pylab would be so much useful if it could be somehow used together with Ipython, which is an enhanced Python shell that executes non-blocking commands.

Best wishes,
      - Mario