Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

import error only in pydev debug mode

2008-05-21
2013-03-15
  • atthecorner
    atthecorner
    2008-05-21

I just ported my code from Windows XP to Windows Vista.

On vista, it fails in the pydev debugger with the message,

"Import Error: No module named vtEnv"

where "vtEnv" is one of my modules. I.e. the classic message when python can find a
    in the source directory because I screwed up the filename.

My reaction was that this must be a trivial path orenvironment variable problem.
    However, I have subsequently discovered that the code executes correctly with the same
    configuration without the debugger (i.e. a run works). It also executes correctly from
    the MS command line. So this is beginning to feel like an eclipse or pydev problem.

On the vista system I am using:
        eclipse 3.3.2, python 2.5.2, pydev 1.3.17

On the XP system (service pack 2) I am using:
        eclipse 3.3.2, python 2.5, pydev 1.3.17

And for the moment I have run out of ideas to explore.

THe following two files will show the problem:

file0.py -
    ----------------

print "some python code"

file1.py -
    -----------

import os
    import file0

Yes it is really that simple a case, which suggests user error and/or I am missing
    a detail in the setup.

• Fabio Zadrozny
      Fabio Zadrozny
      2008-05-22

Can you print in the beginning of the sys.path and check if it's what you expect it to be? Also, is that a relative import (python 2.5 may have some issues if that's a regular import when you're importing from the __main__ module). Another shot would be trying to clean the .pyc files.

Cheers,

Fabio

• atthecorner
        atthecorner
        2008-05-22

On my vista system

When running the code, that is when the code works, os.sys.path is:
        ['C:\\Users\\mkearney\\workspace\\xxxxx\\src', 'C:\\opt\\eclipse-SDK-3.3.2-win32\\eclipse\\plugins\\org.python.pydev_1.3.17\\PySrc', 'C:\\opt\\python252', 'C:\\opt\\python252\\DLLs', 'C:\\opt\\python252\\lib', 'C:\\opt\\python252\\lib\\lib-tk', 'C:\\opt\\python252\\lib\\plat-win', 'C:\\opt\\python252\\lib\\site-packages', 'C:\\Windows\\system32\\python25.zip']

'C:\\Users\\mkearney\\workspace\\xxxxx\\src' is my source directory

When debugging, os.sys.path is:
        ['C:\\Windows\\system32', 'C:\\opt\\eclipse-SDK-3.3.2-win32\\eclipse\\plugins\\org.python.pydev.debug_1.3.17\\pysrc', 'C:\\opt\\eclipse-SDK-3.3.2-win32\\eclipse\\plugins\\org.python.pydev_1.3.17\\PySrc', 'C:\\opt\\python252', 'C:\\opt\\python252\\DLLs', 'C:\\opt\\python252\\lib', 'C:\\opt\\python252\\lib\\lib-tk', 'C:\\opt\\python252\\lib\\plat-win', 'C:\\opt\\python252\\lib\\site-packages', 'C:\\Windows\\system32\\python25.zip']

When I add code to insert the 3 missing directories, things work. So where are those dirs normally added to
        os.sys.path>

As for regular vs relative import, I don't really know. I have not found it necessary to make the distinction so far. The import is in __main__ module as shown in the small example. And "it worked before", the plaintive cry of a confused user. However, on the vista system I am running, python 2.5.2. On the XP system, I am running python 2.5.

-m

• atthecorner
      atthecorner
      2008-05-22

And by the way. Adding code to insert the directories into os.sys.path works in the app, but I have to add it to every __main__module or so it seems. I've packaged platform specific into a module I'm importing. Obviously
      if a platform specific detail precludes the import I have to patch around it. It would seem though, that this specific behavior should be the same for "run" or "debug" modes. And, it works in run

• atthecorner
      atthecorner
      2008-05-29

FYI, I experience the same problem w/ ubuntu Linux.
      -m