Assisting pydev with type information.

Tom
2009-07-23
2013-03-15
  • Tom
    Tom
    2009-07-23

I'd like to 'help' pydev by giving it some info about my types - so that it can provide me with auto-complete information, and so that it doesn't mar

The problem is that I often initially assign attributes the 'None' value, and then set their actual value later.  This typically comes up with class types.  I guess this is the equivelent of assigning a null value to a reference in other languages.

The result seems to be that pydev/pylint thinks the attribute has a type of None (which is true, initially).

Is there some way that I can 'tell' pydev what the correct type is?  Ideally it would be better if I could do this in the source code, rather then in a configuration file, since that would be more convenient and because it is useful information for documenting the program.

• f33l
      f33l
      2009-08-04

I'd be interested in this too - I'd be cool, if you could somehow tell pydev to use the @type tag for the pydoc as reference, but I guess that's also messy and not implemented. I wish Guido had made python 3.0 optionally statically typed. Sigh.

• You can do that with assertions. E.g.:

assert isinstance(ds, DataSet)
      ds.|

With the cursor there, PyDev will autocomplete on members of the class DataSet.

• Tom
      Tom
      2009-08-25

That is a good idea, but I find that it doesn't work.  I guess pydev doesn't parse the 'isinstance' statement?

I hope it will be supported in the future as it is a good solution to the problem.  Then I would define a static member like this:

class Blah:
          shape1 = None;           # will be used as a Shape object later.
          isinstance( shape1, Shape );         # returns False here, but ignored.
              # or
          assert isinstance( shape1, (NoneType, Shape) );

• Fabio Zadrozny
        Fabio Zadrozny
        2009-08-25

It should support the assert isinstance(), but I guess it's not working with a tuple as a parameter (please enter a bug request for that).

Cheers,

Fabio

• Tom
          Tom
          2009-08-25

Are you sure?

I'm finding that it doesn't work in either case.  For example:

assert isinstance( attr1, Obj1 );
                  attr1.member1();
                           # here an error is reported, even though member1 is a member of Obj1.