Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Refactoring Not Working

Michael
2005-01-27
2013-03-15
  • Michael
    Michael
    2005-01-27

Hi,

I'm runing PyDev .85 in eclipse 3.1 (also tried it in 3.01). When I try to refactor, I get a progress box which pops up saying "operation in progress" but the bar never advances, and it appears that the process times out. None of the refactor functions end up doing anything. The dialog just eventually disappears, and i'm dropped back into the editor.

I suspect it's a misconfiguration on my part, but I have no idea where to start looking....

Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers
    -Michael

• Fabio Zadrozny
      Fabio Zadrozny
      2005-01-27

Classic question: is your PYTHONPATH set in your enviroment? (In your enviroment and not in the project properties that for now is only used for code completion)

If that does not work, check if python is properly configured (in windows->preferences->debug, you have to set the python.exe if python is not in your path)

If that does not solve it too, check if you have something in your error log (windows->show view->error log)

Cheers,

Fabio

• Michael
      Michael
      2005-01-27

Hi Fabio,

My path variable is set to the following:
      C:\Python24;C:\Python24\DLLs;C:\Python24\Lib;C:\Python24\libs;C:\Python24\tcl;D:\My Documents\Eclipse\Workspace\ca.trauttmansdorff.michael.training.python;

Code completion and execution work, so i think that this is ok as is. Python.exe is also set correctly.

The error log reports a java.lkang.NullPointerException.

Below is a copy of the stack trace

Thanks again for your help,
      -Michael

java.lang.NullPointerException
          at org.python.pydev.editor.actions.refactoring.PyRefactorAction.run(PyRefactorAction.java:244)
          at org.eclipse.ui.internal.PluginAction.runWithEvent(PluginAction.java:276)
          at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.handleWidgetSelection(ActionContributionItem.java:915)
          at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.access$2(ActionContributionItem.java:866)
          at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem$7.handleEvent(ActionContributionItem.java:785)
          at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:82)
          at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:796)
          at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:2772)
          at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:2431)
          at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runEventLoop(Workbench.java:1377)
          at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runUI(Workbench.java:1348)
          at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:254)
          at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:141)
          at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.IDEApplication.run(IDEApplication.java:96)
          at org.eclipse.core.internal.runtime.PlatformActivator$1.run(PlatformActivator.java:335)
          at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:273)
          at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:129)
          at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
          at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
          at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
          at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
          at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:185)
          at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:704)
          at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:688)

• Fabio Zadrozny
        Fabio Zadrozny
        2005-01-27

I see you are using python 2.4. In that case the problem might be:

Pydev 0.8.5 had a packaging problem and because of that, sometimes code completion did not work very well with python 2.4. If you use this version, you can fix that by erasing all *.pyc files that come toghether with the plugin (it seems that a file named inspect.pyc got in the package because of some experiments I was doing and as python 2.4 did not have the source file to recreate it, it seems to hang for a long time... when it did not hang forever)

• Michael
      Michael
      2005-01-27

Thanks! That did the trick :)