Debian package

iRiku87
2009-10-01
2013-04-25
  • iRiku87
    iRiku87
    2009-10-01

Hi.
    I'm making an application using PyCLIPS, and I would like to package my app in a debian package.  But for that it's desirable that every libs I use are deb packages too.

Is not the case of PyCLIPS, and my question is: is there any posibility that you soon make a debian package with the lib? Or can I try to do it?

Thanks for the great library :)

• Hi,

PyCLIPS is available in source form, I initially used to package some Linux binaries as a tarball but I gave up as it is not a standard way to distribute them. When setuptools became widely used, I also started to build egg packages, since this is quite easy to use. The binary Windows distribution was quite mandatory, because many Windows users do not have development tools available. This said, I really would like to have Debian packages available for PyCLIPS, I also received a request (RFP) to include PyCLIPS in Debian. I don't know, however, how all of this works. Although I use Ubuntu as my OS on most of my machines, I'm not really into packaging for it. I'm a good "apt-get" user, but definitely not a packager. ;-)

The answer, thus, is the following:I'd prefer that someone else packages the module instead of me. I will not even attempt to package PyCLIPS differently than the usual *distutils* way, because I would surely do something wrong that would have more drawbacks than benefits. In case you can help, please let me know…

F.

• iRiku87
    iRiku87
    2009-10-01

Thanks for the quick answer.

I never make a package, but I will try. If I make it work fine, I'll let you know :)

• I bet, at least you have to try in case you want to make your application available as a package, isn't it? ;-)

F.