Compiling w/o X support

2010-04-25
2013-05-02
  • Jean Jordaan
    Jean Jordaan
    2010-04-25

I want to compile pwsafe for use on a server, via ssh. The server doesn't have X libs installed, and doesn't run any X apps. 'make' fails with "pwsafe.cpp:143:27: error: X11/Xmu/Atoms.h: No such file or directory".

How I can tell pwsafe to compile without looking for X libraries?

• Jean Jordaan
    Jean Jordaan
    2010-04-25

Hehe, 'export X_DISPLAY_MISSING=1' didn't help, but commenting out all the corresponding bits of source code did :-]
    The ./configure tests for Xmu stuff fails, so perhaps this can automatically set the environment not to try and compile the X support.

• Nicolas Dade
    Nicolas Dade
    2010-04-25

The short answer:
       ./configure -without-x

The longer answer:
      ./configure -help will (with all gnu autoconf based software) show you all the configuration options. In there you'll find the line "-with-x", indicating both that with/without X is possible, and that with-x is the default.

• Jean Jordaan
    Jean Jordaan
    2010-04-26

I must confess that I took "-with-x" to mean that you can explicitly request X support if you want it:

Optional Packages:

-with-x                use the X Window System

.. so that's an optional package which I can request.

Anyway, I understand now, thanks!

I still think that ./configure should fail if it's going to try to install X, but the tests for the required libraries have failed.

• Jean Jordaan
    Jean Jordaan
    2010-04-26

Edit: "I still think that ./configure should fail if it's going to try to compile X support, but the tests for the required libraries have failed."