Hello, World

2008-10-10
2013-04-24
  • Tom Sharpless
    Tom Sharpless
    2008-10-10

I started pvQt because I needed a panorama viewer for Linux, but mainly in hopes of learning something about OpenGL and the Qt development framework.  The results exceeded my expectations, so here it is on SourceForge for all the world to see.  Or will be as soon as I figure out how to post things in the right places.

If you make panoramas and can build software, I think you will like pvQt.  I plan to post a Win32 build, but for other platforms you have to build it yourself.  That's very easy with Qt, but Qt seems a very big package to install for one small app.  So you will probably be happiest if you develop some other software on the Qt framework as well -- I guarantee you'll like that if you try it.

Cheers, Tom

• Tom Sharpless
      Tom Sharpless
      2008-10-10

-- PS --

You will only like pvQt version 0.1 if your video hardware and drivers support OpenGL 2.0 or better.   Otherwise it won't display anything.

Windows users can check the capabilities of their graphics systems with the excellent "GPU capabilities viewer" program from oZone3D.net.  Depressingly, only one of my four machines supports OGL 2.0 (and does so under Ubuntu Linux also). Windows Device Manager reports an  "nVidia GeForce 6150SE nForce 430" GPU. 

I guess pvQt could be made to fall back to OGL 1.4+ (provided it has the cube texture mapping extension and a decent sized texture memory) but I really would rather not compromise performance in pursuit of catholicity.  Upgrading seems a viable option: an OGL 2.0 capable nVidia card for my 6 year old AMD Sempron box with AGP socket sells for under $50 (I'll let you know if it actually works when I get it).

-- Tom

• Zuf
      Zuf
      2008-11-07

Thank you!
      Really cool feature to view QTVR panoramas in linux.

• Craig Wise
      Craig Wise
      2009-03-23

Hi Tom,

Nice application thanks. I was just wondering how to make the sample 360 image that is provided, the "sphr360.jpg". I want to try make a 360 image in the same way. Any help would be great.

thanks,
      Craig

• Tom Sharpless
        Tom Sharpless
        2009-03-24

Thanks, Craig,
        I made most of those images by reprojecting an equirectangular panorama with PTGui (you could do the same with Hugin).  That particular image was made with the "circular" projection, that maps equal angles away from view center to equal distances.  It is the kind of image the original "metrological" fisheye lenses were designed to make, though of course the computer generated kind can map the whole sphere.  Modern fisheyes use a different mapping that is relatively more compressed at the periphery and less so in the middle.  Many people prefer the sterographic projection of the sphere, which is relatively less compressed at the periphery than the equal angle one.