Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Media server control point for windows?

Help
2011-01-12
2012-12-14
  • Terry Farnham
    Terry Farnham
    2011-01-12

I am researching open source solutions for building a media server control point under MS Windows.  Does LibUPnP support compiling and running on the windows platform?  If so, are there any requirements other than the pthreads library for building the library?  My first cursory attempt to compile the library for windows has failed miserably, and I need someone to tell me if this should be at all possible before I invest too much effort.

• tom dev
    tom dev
    2011-01-12

Yes, I'm sure it can be done. I have seen it done in Visual studio using pthreads although I'm not a Windows developer and wouldn't be able to tell you where to start getting it up and running. I thought there were some VC projects in the build folder?

• Terry Farnham
    Terry Farnham
    2011-01-12

It's not entirely clear which VC projects to load.  The libupnp.dsp file is old (VS 2003?) which I'm not sure I could find a copy of at this point.  The newer project files located in vc8/9 seem to refer to many source files that do not exist in the distribution.  For example, they refer to files like Discovery.c, EventSubscribe.c, ActionRequest.c,..and many more.  When I try to roll my own project file, I get many errors possibly because I may not have a proper platform SDK or some other necessary component not installed.  If someone has successfully compiled this recently for windows, I would love to know the magic for doing so myself.

• Terry Farnham
    Terry Farnham
    2011-01-13

ANSWER:  Perform a git.  It is the only way to get the "real" distribution.  The files provided on the main sourceforge page do not contain everything.  I will see where compiling with the git version gets me.

• Hi Terry,

The right answer is that the visual C files refer to branch 1.8.x, which is currently the "master" branch of git.

1.8.x is not yet released, but should be as functional as the 1.6.x branch. I should have released it last year, I hope I will do it soon this year.

The branch "branch-1.6.x" is the currently distributed code. You can easily switch between the two using the git repository.

Notice that even for the 1.8.x branch, these windows files should be slightly outdated, if you have fixes to them, they are welcome on the master branch.

Best regards,
    Marcelo.

• Terry Farnham
    Terry Farnham
    2011-01-14

Thanks Marcelo,

I am having much more success now with the 1.8.x version.  I have encountered a few WIN32 issues, what is preferred for reporting and or fixing them?  Also, is there a "suggestions" box somewhere that I could post wishes to?

- Terry