Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Suggestions and or questions

2007-05-09
2013-04-29
  • This is a very good program.  I use it to bill services to clients.

I have installed the timer program PC Fare Meter on my laptop and it is rarely connected to the Internet.  Is there a way to stop the program on startup searching for your website?

Often I stop to see clients at their location and I would like to manually enter a record giving the description of a project or in my case a meeting.  Simple data entry – Group (client), Project Description, Date, Start Time and End Time.  Can this be done?

Thank you,
    Harold Hoffmann
    SBDC Consultant.
    bizologist@clear.lakes.com

• niknah
      niknah
      2007-05-10

I've put up a pre-release for anyone who wants to try it out.  It asks whether you want to see more error messages when it fails the web update, the error messages can be reenabled again in the options dialog.  It's got a new installer and various new features(invoicing, group filtering)

http://projecttimer.sourceforge.net/releases/PCFareMeterSetup_0.95.msi

Would be nice if other people tried it out before I release it.

I'm not sure if this is what you're after...
      * Start a new project(client) then click start+stop quickly. 
      * Click on the project name and change the times and put a comment there. 
      * If you want the time to look like it's an active time, you can double click on the window name below and change the time there too.

• Great Program.

There is one small bug I found.

Some window titles include ASCII characters from Decimal 0 to 31 (http://www.asciitable.com/)

This causes the save routine to fail when serializing the output and trying to save it.

Any Idea on why XmlUtf8RawTextWriter doesn't like Char Dec 17.

See the end of this message for details on invoking
      just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
      System.InvalidOperationException: There was an error generating the XML document. ---> System.ArgumentException: '', hexadecimal value 0x17, is an invalid character.
         at System.Xml.XmlUtf8RawTextWriter.InvalidXmlChar(Int32 ch, Byte* pDst, Boolean entitize)
         at System.Xml.XmlUtf8RawTextWriter.WriteElementTextBlock(Char* pSrc, Char* pSrcEnd)
         at System.Xml.XmlUtf8RawTextWriter.WriteString(String text)
         at System.Xml.XmlUtf8RawTextWriterIndent.WriteString(String text)
         at System.Xml.XmlWellFormedWriter.WriteString(String text)
         at System.Xml.XmlWriter.WriteElementString(String localName, String ns, String value)
         at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializationWriter.WriteElementString(String localName, String ns, String value, XmlQualifiedName xsiType)
         at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializationWriter.WriteElementString(String localName, String ns, String value)
         at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationWriterProjectsContainer.Write3_Window(String n, String ns, Window o, Boolean isNullable, Boolean needType)
         at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationWriterProjectsContainer.Write4_TaskTime(String n, String ns, TaskTime o, Boolean isNullable, Boolean needType)
         at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationWriterProjectsContainer.Write5_Project(String n, String ns, Project o, Boolean isNullable, Boolean needType)
         at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationWriterProjectsContainer.Write8_ProjectsContainer(String n, String ns, ProjectsContainer o, Boolean isNullable, Boolean needType)
         at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationWriterProjectsContainer.Write9_ProjectsContainer(Object o)
         --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
         at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Serialize(XmlWriter xmlWriter, Object o, XmlSerializerNamespaces namespaces, String encodingStyle, String id)
         at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Serialize(XmlWriter xmlWriter, Object o)
         at ProjectTimer.Config.XmlConfig`1.Save(XmlWriter xmlWriter, Object obj) in C:\Work\WorkInstallers\PC Fare Meter\Source\PCFareMeter_0.95\ProjectTimer\Config\XmlConfig.cs:line 72
         at ProjectTimer.Config.XmlConfig`1.Save(T obj) in C:\Work\WorkInstallers\PC Fare Meter\Source\PCFareMeter_0.95\ProjectTimer\Config\XmlConfig.cs:line 90
         at ProjectTimer.Projects.ProjectsContainer.SaveXml(String timersFile) in C:\Work\WorkInstallers\PC Fare Meter\Source\PCFareMeter_0.95\ProjectTimer\Projects\ProjectsContainer.cs:line 210
         at ProjectTimer.ImportExportDialog.ExportXmlFile(String fileName) in C:\Work\WorkInstallers\PC Fare Meter\Source\PCFareMeter_0.95\ProjectTimer\Dialogs\ImportExportDialog.cs:line 106
         at ProjectTimer.ImportExportDialog.ExportXmlClick(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\Work\WorkInstallers\PC Fare Meter\Source\PCFareMeter_0.95\ProjectTimer\Dialogs\ImportExportDialog.cs:line 99
         at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
         at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
         at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
         at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
         at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
         at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
         at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
         at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
         at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
         at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

• Thanks for the fix.

I will give it a go

• Is it possible to make the program skinabble?  I would love to build this into a frontend but don't want the Windows looking interface.

Thanks, Mike

• niknah
        niknah
        2008-11-13

Yes, there is nothing tricky in the interface.  What sort of skinning did you have in mind?
        You can also use WindowsBlinds with it.