How to integrate mail into Project Open?

pradeep
2010-06-17
2012-11-13
  • pradeep
    pradeep
    2010-06-17

Every time I create a new user or assign a task to a user PO prompts to send mail to the user.How to integrate our mail into PO?
    We use Google Apps for our mailing solution.

• Frank Bergmann
    Frank Bergmann
    2010-07-12

Hi Pradeepviswav,

What exactly do you refer to with "integration"?
    ]po[ will send out mail the email address of the new user thanks to the built-in (VMware version) SMTP agent. That should work find with Google Apps…

Cheers!
    Frank

• AUSTINE OBIERO
    AUSTINE OBIERO
    2010-07-15

Hi Frank,

Am having the same problems.
    Is the mail integration automatic or do i need to configure my mail server to accept mails from ]po[ ?

cheers
    Austine.

• usacad1
    usacad1
    2010-07-16

Hi,

I had the same problems configuring mail and it turned out it's really not a problem, mainly characteristics of the system. In short (I hope) ]po[ uses a configured SMTP server or the Linux Sendmail program. I have no knowledge on how to configure sendmail, but I have successfully configured SMTP on two servers.

The basic steps are the following and please notice that the solution is largely based on indications from amendina (many thanks, BTW) of 2010-03-24 in this forum's topic https://sourceforge.net/projects/project-open/forums/forum/295937/topic/3533752

SETTING UP A MAIL SERVER

The /web/projop/etc/config.tcl configuration file (Windows: C:\project-open\servers\projop\etc\config.tcl) contains a "mailhost" parameter which is by default set to localhost (127.0.0.1), assuming that the server running ]po[ is also running a SMTP (mail) server. Otherwise, set it to the server where the SMTP server is installed.

1) What I did was to install an smtp program(http://www.hmailserver.com/). In the PO, I configured mailhost as localchost and within hmail I did a Relay of the smtp to my hosted mail using a valid account on the hosted mail. SO, PO send en email to localhost then hmail connects to my mail server and voila.

2) hmail is quite intuitive. before using it I had zero knowledge on how to even beging with an STMP server. I had it running in no time, using the provided help, so it should be ok for many to configure.

So far, it is not clear how to configure ]oppo[)

SETTING UP ACS-MAIL-LITE

ACS mail lite is used for notification, calendars (and in the future for all E-mail messaging). To configure it:

1) Go to the Parameters setup page, package acs-mail-lite
    2) BounceDomain: set to yourdomain.something
    3) NotificationSender: the name of ]po[ admin? (intranetadmin@yourdomain.something)
    4) SendmailBin: SMTP (to enable SMTP mail send)

That should do it. I get all notifications that uses the old MAIL and the new ACS-MAIL-LITE (according to ]po[ team this will become the future way to handle e-mail).

Hope it helps…

Bye

Ivan

• Hi Frank,
    My SMTP server needs authnetication credentials. The built in mailing proxy does not seem to have an option to route a request with login credentials.
    Please help.

Thanks
    Bhaskar

• Hello, Everyone!
    I am a newbie with PO and have similar problem with configuration of mailing system. I am running PO under windows and have a windows based SMTP with autentification.
    How i can setup my system?

Thank You very much in advance!

• Frank Bergmann
    Frank Bergmann
    2010-08-13

Hi,

Sorry, ]po[ won't be able to provide authentication towards an SMTP server easily…

However, you shouldn't need this if you are running ]po[ on the same server as the SMTP agent.
    You can usually configure the SMTP to accept local connections without auth.

Cheers!
    Frank

• Erik Andelman
    Erik Andelman
    2010-11-02

Here's how I'm using our Exchange server:
    I have an "smtp virtual server" running on an Exchange server on the intranet, a different machine than the proj-open server. I specified the IP of this server in the \servers\projop\etc\config.tcl file.
    I then allowed anonymous authentication for the smtp virtual server, but limited "connection control" and "relay restrictions" to the IP of the proj-open server (and of course itself).
    That's it!

• Erik Andelman
    Erik Andelman
    2010-11-02

Also don't forget to set SendmailBin  = smtp         in the parameters for acs-mail-lite

• Paola Duarte
    Paola Duarte
    2011-02-22

Hi
    I,m new using ]popo[ to my e_mail adress and i can´t do it.
    could someone please guide me.
    thanks
    Paola

• Paola Duarte
    Paola Duarte
    2011-02-22

Hi
    I,m new using ]popo[ to my e_mail adress and i can´t do it.
    could someone please guide me.
    thanks
    Paola

• Frank Bergmann
    Frank Bergmann
    2011-02-23

Hi Paola,

Did you set up a mail server as explained above?
    Please make sure you've got at least on person in your team with a System Administrator profile. This guy will probably be able to setup the mail system easily.

Cheers!
    Frank

• Paola Duarte
    Paola Duarte
    2011-02-23

Well frank
    i´m the System Administrator… I have been using project-open from few days. It is interesting and has goodfeatures. But few things I am not able to implement. like the mail, and update the currency values …. you know frank i´m from colombia and i really having a hard time trying to understand everything in the documentation pages.. so i only need to be guided in the learning process because I really think that ]po[ is perfect for my work and my day to day
    Hoping for the best

Regards,
    Paola Duarte