My client-server application has always been some kind of problematic with proguard.
The only version where optimization worked was 3.5 - 3.6/3.7 and earlier releases were broken. With 3.7 even obfuscation didn't work. (I haven't tested 3.8 till now).
However with 4.0-beta my app even optimizes fine, and the results are a lot better than with proguard-3.5 (560kb vs. 590kb).
So proguard got even better and now works reliable again for my code :-)
Thanks a lot, Clemens
Wow, I was bracing for an avalanche of bugs, and now you tell me it just works. Thanks! Note that your bug with constructors whose signatures are simplified is still open though.
Well I was surprised too, I first thought even about not trying it out at all ... because my stuff is already in "productional" use and ... you know ;). But then I thought proguard (you!!) has done so much great work for me, so that I'll try to report all bugs I find. Surprisingly I did not find one ^^
Sorry that I was not able to send you the source for the obfuscation problem in 3.7, but the code does not belong to me. Its nothing about trust but about lawers ;)
For now I worked arround the bug with the simplifies constructors, maybe I find some time to fix it in the summer-holidays. Would be a great way to say thank you ;)
Thanks a lot for this *wonderful* piece of software, you rock :-)