Problems with talk.php

Help
Stephen
2006-08-11
2013-04-25
  • Stephen
    Stephen
    2006-08-11

Hi, I have followed all of the instructions from the instructions.html file.

My environment is the following:

PHP Version 5.1.2
    MySQL 5.0.18
    programe-v.09

So here is what I did:

- I modified the dbpref.php to my db settings
    - I was able to load the AIML files into the db by using botloader.php

Note: this was my execution time
    execution time: 113.426102
    Templates per second=209.413879003
    Templates per minute=12564.8327402

- When I clicked to link to talk.php it gives me the following error

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected $end in C:\wamp\www\chatbot\src\talk.php on line 132

Could someone please tell me how to fix this? any suggestions? I've looked at previous threads but there is nothing regarding this.

Thanks

Stephen
    steviechan83@gmail.com

• Stephen
      Stephen
      2006-08-11

I was able to get the parse error fixed by putting <?php instead of <? for all the tags in talk.php

Anyway, now I ran into another problem where I keep getting this error

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at C:\wamp\www\chatbot\src\admin\subs.inc:1) in C:\wamp\www\chatbot\src\talk.php on line 47

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at C:\wamp\www\chatbot\src\admin\subs.inc:1) in C:\wamp\www\chatbot\src\talk.php on line 47

• tanoshimi
        tanoshimi
        2006-08-11

This error sounds like the script is trying to send a header with session information after some content has already been sent to the browser.

session_start(); must be called BEFORE anything is output to the browser because this cookie is sent within the HTTP header.

Make sure there is absolutely nothing in the script which will produce output before session_start() - this includes any whitespace (spaces or line returns) before the opening '<?php' delimiter and also nothing in the script which will produce output before this function, i.e., echo or print statements...

• Anne Kootstra
          Anne Kootstra
          2006-08-12

Since my move from Windows XP Pro to Windows XP Home I also moved from IIS to Apache using the exact same WAMP installer: WampServer.

When I recently installed the current release of Program E I believe the only changes I made was to replace <? to <?php in all the files, not just talk.php. Try this.

Kind regards,

Anne.

• Stephen
            Stephen
            2006-08-14

Hi Anne,

Thanks for the quick reply.  I changed all the <? to <?php and now I do not get any errors.

I changed every file even in the src/admin, src/xmlrpc.

Now when I go to http://localhost/chatbot/src/talk.php

I get an input form and only one Bot called "TestBot" to choose from.

I type 'hello' into the input and I get this as the response:
            <i>
            RESPONSE:

execution time: 0.00779
            numselects= 9
            </i>
            There is no response.  Then if I type 'hello' again.  I get the following:

I don't know that bot:
            RESPONSE:

execution time:
            numselects= 0

Anything I input after this I keep getting the same response.

I have tried to determine what the problem is but I cannot seem to find out still.

Thanks

Stephen :)

• Anne Kootstra
              Anne Kootstra
              2006-08-14

To me this sounds like an AIML related problem. Perhaps you should empty all the tables and re-run botloader.php in the /admin/ folder. See if this helps. Pretty sure it should do. If not, then open dbprefs.php and in the last line remove the @ symbol from the MySQL connection. In case this is causing the problem.

Kind regards,

Anne.

• Stephen
                Stephen
                2006-08-14

Hi Anne,

I tried to reload all the tables and removed the @ in dbpref.php.  However, there is still that problem.

I've checked the database and all the tables have 'testbot' id in there.

Also, tables that do not have any information is the gmcache, thatstack, and gossip.  However, the rest of the tables do.

I will reinstall the program e again.  Maybe i changed something by accident

Thanks for all your help :)

Stephen  

• Anne Kootstra
                  Anne Kootstra
                  2006-08-15

Should your problem persist, then please provide the following data:

Version of Program E used,
                  AIML set loaded (preferably with link),
                  Which inputs have been used,
                  Responses to those inputs
                  and any other modifications you have made.

Since you are running an environment that I use myself this problem should be solvable.

Kind regars,

Anne.

• Stephen
                    Stephen
                    2006-08-16

Version of Program E used: 0.9
                    AIML set loaded: the default that came with the package
                    Which inputs have been used: The first input i used was "hello", then I used "what"

Responses to those inputs: The first response to the input "hello" was "RESPONSE: My brain contains more than 22,000 patterns, but not one that matches your last input."

The second response to the input "what" is "I don't know that bot:" and any input after this will generate the same response.

Any other modifications you have made:none except for the <? to <?PHP.  Also in the db_pref I had to change the path to point to the AIML file because the default was AIML_TEST/

Thanks for all your help Anne!

• Anne Kootstra
                      Anne Kootstra
                      2006-08-17

OK, let's break it down.

1. It appears that you have the correct database setting and that there is a connection. (Deduction from the first reply with "..22,000..".)

2. The error the was returned "I don't know that bot:" comes from the function "replybotname($userinput,$uniqueid,$botname = "TestBot")"

To me this sounds like the bot Id or Botname wasn't avaialble. But since you're getting an AIML error for any of the inputs that follow I'm not sure what the problem is.

I'm inclined to say that it may have something to do with your cookie or security settings. Besides this, there is not much I can suggest.

Kind regards,

Anne.

• Anne Kootstra
                        Anne Kootstra
                        2006-08-17

Perhaps you can add the following code to talk.php at the very end, but before the ?>.

print "<pre>";
                        print_r ($botresponse);
                        print "</pre>";

It will give you the contents of the $botreponse object (i.e. Class) and it's variables. Can you please post what it returns.

Kind regards,

Anne.

• Alex Linthicum
          Alex Linthicum
          2008-07-21

Yes, I am having this problem too, most likely because the include respond.php statement above the session statements. Respond.php has the statement

require_once "admin/subs.inc";

which automatically prints the arrays defined in sub.inc. Thus a header is sent before the session is started/gotten.

Has anyone fixed this issue?

I'm also having problems with

the preg_replace empty regular expression in ...\src\util.php on line 588 & 599

What about this one?

Thanks in advance!

• Anne Kootstra
            Anne Kootstra
            2008-07-23

Can you please elaborate on what you consider to be the issue?

To me it sounds like Subs.inc hasn't been created. Subs.inc is a file that is created when Program E is loaded with AIML and contains the substitutions that are performed by the engine before matching the input onto the stored AIML patterns.

Kind regards,

Anne

• Alex Linthicum
              Alex Linthicum
              2008-07-23

Hi Anne,

Thanks for responding. Let me back up and give you some system details.

Windows XP SP 2
              PHP 5.2.6
              mySQL 5.0.51b
              Apache 2.2.9

I have made three changes to the existing code overcome previously reported problems:
              1) changed all '<?' to '<?php'
              2) changed all '$HTTP_POST_VARS' to '$_REQUEST'
              3) changed line 92 in dbprefs.php from '$rootdir="../../aiml_test/";' to '$rootdir="../../aiml/";'

I have run botloader.php with the following output:

When this script is done running you should see text that says "DONE LOADING." If the script times out it is probably because your PHP is running in safe mode. If this is the case use the file botloaderinc.php to load your AIML files.
              Loading startup.xml
              Loading bot: 2
              Loading data aiml file: std-65percent.aiml
              Loading data aiml file: std-pickup.aiml
              DONE LOADING
              Inserted 312 categories into database

WARNING! You should password protect the admin directory or remove the botloader.php script or people may be able to abuse your server.

Click here to talk to the bot

execution time: 12.362584
              Templates per second=25.237442269351
              Templates per minute=1514.246536161

Subs.inc has been populated. It is a 14KB file populated with arrays such as the following:

$gendersearch=array(
              "/\bhe\b/ie",
              "/\bshe\b/ie",
              "/\bto him\b/ie",
              "/\bfor him\b/ie",
              "/\bwith him\b/ie",
              "/\bon him\b/ie",
              "/\bin him\b/ie",
              "/\bto her\b/ie",
              "/\bfor her\b/ie",
              "/\bwith her\b/ie",
              "/\bon her\b/ie",
              "/\bin her\b/ie",
              "/\bhis\b/ie",
              "/\bher\b/ie",
              "/\bhim\b/ie",
              "/\ber\b/ie",
              "/\bihm\b/ie",
              "/\bsein\b/ie",
              "/\bihn\b/ie",
              );

[more here]

I open talk.php and the type in the question 'What is your favorite color?' The result is as follows:

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Apache2.2\htdocs\pgmE\src\admin\subs.inc:249) in C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Apache2.2\htdocs\pgmE\src\talk.php on line 47

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Apache2.2\htdocs\pgmE\src\admin\subs.inc:249) in C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Apache2.2\htdocs\pgmE\src\talk.php on line 47

Warning: preg_replace() [function.preg-replace]: Empty regular expression in C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Apache2.2\htdocs\pgmE\src\util.php on line 588

Warning: preg_replace() [function.preg-replace]: Empty regular expression in C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Apache2.2\htdocs\pgmE\src\util.php on line 588
              RESPONSE: In the context of INACTIVITY, I don't understand "."

execution time: 0.67996
              numselects= 23

Input: [TEXT BOX] [SUBMIT BUTTON]

The post I responded to suggested the first error was because either an echo or print command was being sent to the html output before the session information. This may be the case; if I examine the html source for the ouput of these errors it begins with a regurgitation of the sub.inc file. I believe this is a result of the 'include "respond.php"' on line 40 of talk.php. Respond.php then includes util.php which in turn includes subs.inc on line 59 (which seems to be printing the contents in the talk.php output). All this occurs before the talk.php script gets to the session_start() command on line 47.

I'm thinking that perhaps this error and the preg_replace() ones may be due to differences in the default php.ini settings from 4.0 to 5.0, but I'm relatively new to PHP and don't know for sure.

Hope this all makes sense!

• Alex Linthicum
                Alex Linthicum
                2008-08-21

Solved my problems.

The 'headers already sent' problem was caused by not changing the '<?' in the subs.inc file to '<?php', thus the subs.inc file was being written out in full in the header.

And, ummm, I forget what I did to get past the utils.php line 588 reg ex problem. Sorry

• Stephen
      Stephen
      2006-08-11

Also I used phpinfo() and my session is set to this:

session
      Session Support  enabled 
      Registered save handlers  files user sqlite 
      Registered serializer handlers  php php_binary wddx 

• Stephen
      Stephen
      2006-08-17

Hi Anne,

Input: Hello

Response Object
      (
          [response] =>
      My brain contains more than 22,000 patterns, but not one that matches your last input.
          [patternsmatched] => Array
              (
                  [0] =>  * : * : *
                  [1] =>  CATCHALL : * : *
                  [2] =>  SAY CONFUSION STATEMENT : * : *
              )

[inputs] => Array
              (
                  [0] => hello : I only hear that type of response less than five percent of the time : hello
                  [1] => CATCHALL : I only hear that type of response less than five percent of the time : hello
                  [2] => SAY CONFUSION STATEMENT : I only hear that type of response less than five percent of the time : hello
              )

[errors] =>
          [timer] => 0.038172
      )

Ok I see

No response except for

I don't know that bot:

However, if I click the back button to the previous page and then click refresh a new response comes out.

Also it stays with the same input even though the input box is cleared. // I checked this in the db (conversationlog).

Thanks

Stephen

• Anne Kootstra
        Anne Kootstra
        2006-08-18

Last night I did a futher analysis of your situation and it dawned on me that your installation might be just fine.

You tried to use the inputstring "HELLO". However, this is not a pattern in the AIML knowledgebase. Thus this will not result in a reply.

To my knowledge your installation works just fine. If you download a more complete AIML set from www.alicebot.org you will have a better responding chatterbot.

Kind regards,

Anne.

• Louis delassus
          Louis delassus
          2008-07-04

hello

if someone have thoses problems, i fixed them by :

putting <?php instead of <? for all the tags in php files

putting $_REQUEST instead of $HTTP_POST_VARS in talk.php

replacing <input type="hidden" name="botname" value="<?php=$_REQUEST['botname']?>"> at line 72 in talk.php
          by <input type="hidden" name="botname" value="<?php echo $_REQUEST['botname']; ?>">

3 hours of labor .....

• I get the folowing error when I run talk.php can somebody help me
      Parse error: syntax error, unexpected $end in C:\wamp\www\bot\src\talk.php on line 132