Question about Program E's matching engine

• Jonathan Duay
    Jonathan Duay

Im encountering problems with the matching on my program E bot.  The '*' inputs seem to have some sort of bug. for example, i have a pattern "feeding *", and I input 'feeding children', when i check the logs on the database, the input passed on is "feeding children children", thus resulting in no matches found. anyone here encounter any problems with the pattern matching engine???

• Anonymous

I've noticed the same problem. If * matches one word it works fine, but if it matches more than one word if repeats the extra words. for example:

Input: what is one two three
      Pattern: what is *

* is matched to: one two three two three

This happens in version 0.08 but not version 0.07.

BTW Is anyone still working on this thing?

• Anonymous

been doing a bit of playing, and I think I've fixed it, atleast for my problems

in <b>src/graphnew.php</b>
      I added 1 character:

used to be: $newword=fastforward($word,&$ffremains);

is now: $newword=fastforward($word,<b>&</b>$ffremains);

Seems to work for me, don't know if it's broken anything else though.

• tanoshimi

Thanks for posting the solution above Richard although I think the HTML formatting went a bit screwy in your reply. Just to clarify for anybody else stuck on this - there appear to two lines in src/graphnew.php which require changing... at line 212 and 319 it currently says:

which if changed to: $newword=fastforward($word,&$ffremains);

seems to fix pattern matching for multiple words in *.

I don't pretend to understand how this works, but I'm sure as hell enjoying creating AIML content for my bot to learn. Serious kudos to everybody involved in this project....

• tanoshimi

Sorry to cross-post in the forum as well as in the 'Bugs' page, but I've been banging my head against a brick wall trying to debug some odd responses, when I noticed something odd...

While the solution above seems to fix problems in categories containing only one <star />, I'm having problems with the following category:

<pattern>* VERY *</pattern>
        <star index="1"/> <star index="2"/>

Which is creating the following dialogue:
        User: I am very clever
        Bot: Very clever am very clever

Anybody else come across this, or can help?!

• Ikioi

I'm using 0.9, and I have the same problem.  The '&' does nothing to help.

• Calipsy

I followed your suggestion and It fixed the problem of repeating words on my bot.