Undefined function: session_start()

Help
Cuddles
2005-01-04
2013-04-25
  • Cuddles
    Cuddles
    2005-01-04

Hi all. Just installed the latest version of Program E (I've used earlier versions before), but I can't get it to run. Botloader works fine, the database is set up fine, but when I go to talk to the bot, I get this error after typing my first input...

Fatal error: Call to undefined function session_start() in /var/www/localhost/htdocs/programe/src/talk.php on line 32

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

• Anne Kootstra
      Anne Kootstra
      2005-01-07

The error you get basically says that the PHP-function session_start() isn't part of the PHP package. This is why I'd like to ask you to check your version of PHP. The PHP.net site says that PHP supports this function from version 4, so if your version of PHP is lower than that, you may want to upgrade.

As ever,

Anne

• Cuddles
      Cuddles
      2005-01-08

Actually, my version is 5.0.1

So could it be something else?

• Anne Kootstra
        Anne Kootstra
        2005-01-09

Well, the root of the problem is that your copy of PHP hasn't been outfitted with the session_start() function. This probably means that the session routines haven't been enabled/compiled.

If you could save the following PHP code into a PHP file. Call this PHP file and see if you find the section "session"

<?php

phpinfo();

?>

Also check in your php.ini and see if there's any mentioning of the session mechanism.

--Anne