Maximum Number Of Bots?

2007-04-16
2013-04-25
  • Hello,

I'm working on integrating Program E into a forum software (yep there is one that doesn't use Program E yet), and I would like to use the functionality of having more than one bot. I realize that the bot's mind can be pretty big (somewhere around 17MB I've noticed if you use a full AIML Set). I figure I should limit the number of bots so that people don't mess up their servers with all the data a bunch of bots can generate. What is everyone's suggest on the maximum number of bots? I'm thinking 4 but would like to get some ideas from others.

• Anne Kootstra
      Anne Kootstra
      2007-04-16

As often in life the answer always starts with: "It depends ..." and in this situation it will be no different. Though I have never sized the database after the AIML has been converted by the botloader into database records. But why would the 17 MB be a problem? These days with storage being rather cheap such a footprint should contitute a problem?

In my opinion there would be a case to say that you can have only one bot per forum but limit the number beyond one (for example 3,4 or 10) doesn't make sense to me. Technically it's no problem to limit the number of bots, but it will require the amendment of the botloader.php to include a check for the number of bots in the table.

If you do include such a check, then also include a method of deleting or updating an existing bot.

Kind regards,

Anne.