Help
Bort01
2006-01-16
2013-06-05
  • Bort01
    Bort01
    2006-01-16

Hi.
    I've been running prboom for a few months now and today when I started it up I got:
    W_GetNumForName: CRBRICK not found
    ...and now it doesn't work. WTF?

Also, I've never got any cheat codes to work, which sucks because two of the wads I've downloaded (HACX and Zombies) seem to have mapping problems I assume could be solved with the noclip cheat. Does anyone know why the cheats don't work for me (other requests have simple answers I tried and that didn't work) and are these problmes in these files caused by prboom/freedoom compatiability problems?

Ciao.

• Graham Burgess
      Graham Burgess
      2006-01-16

The first problem sounds like it might be a problem with the wad. Had you successful ran this same wad previously?

Hacx and Zombies both have a dehacked patch that changes the cheat codes. If you look at it in a text editor (e.g. Notepad), you will be able to see what the changed cheat codes are.

However, the problems are, as you suspect, the result of a bug in Prboom. It interprets "Bits = 0" (which occurs in the dehacked patches for both these wads) incorrectly. Things with this attribute are not meant to block player movement, but in Prboom they do. This bug has been fixed in Prboom-plus (http://sourceforge.net/projects/prboom-plus), a modified version of Prboom. Hopefully this fix (and others) will be implemented in the official version at some point.

Prboom-plus also fixes a couple of other errors in dehacked support that affect Hacx. The more important of these applies to "Max Health", which should apply only to health potions. (The other relates to the "Steps before attack" flag, and is barely noticeable except for the fact that it can cause demos to desync.)

HTH

• Bort01
      Bort01
      2006-01-19

First up, it's the doom2.wad that comes with freedoom. It literally stopped working for no reason. I even ditched it, reinstalled it and it still doesn't go. It's bizarre. I noticed that prboom.cfg has wads listed int it - I think I may have busted that by tinkering with those settings in  the game.Mayeb I should reinstall prboom and try again.

Secondly, I looked in the .deh files and there's the cheats. I think that will solve my problem - provided I get the wad to work!

Thanks for some major help.

• This sounds like prboom.wad isn't loaded, check your path and config.

Regards,
        Florian Schulze

• Bort01
      Bort01
      2006-01-19

Deleted the cfg file, works fine now.

Cheats also work.

Thanks!!