can't unmount remote fs? I haven't any!

• Running 0.7.2(unstable) using KDE 3.5.5 with Slackware 11 on a Lenovo T60.  Works mostly great, STR is awesome.  I think I need to write a few scripts to kill my DHCP connections before suspending, but that's nothing difficult.

When I go to suspend to RAM, but not every time, kpowersave complains that it can't unmount my remote filesystems and asks if it should suspend anyway.  Only one problem: I haven't got any remote file systems mounted!

I *do* have two listed in /etc/fstab, but I use them infrequently and I am 100% certain that I do NOT have it mounted when the error comes up.  I don't have any automounters running or anything that would try to go out and connect to this NFS system anyway.  The flash mountpoint is also unused; the USB key is lost somewhere in my pile of work at home.

fstab's pretty straightforward:

$ cat /etc/fstab
    /dev/hda1        /                xfs         defaults         1   1
    /dev/cdrom       /mnt/cdrom       auto        noauto,owner,ro  0   0
    /dev/fd0         /mnt/floppy      auto        noauto,owner     0   0
    /dev/lexarflash  /mnt/flash       auto        noauto,owner,user,noexec 0   0 /mnt/xdev        nfs      noauto,owner,user,soft,exec,tcp     0   0 /mnt/devlaptop nfs      noauto,owner,user,soft,exec,tcp     0   0
    devpts           /dev/pts         devpts      gid=5,mode=620   0   0
    proc             /proc            proc        defaults         0   0
    /swapfile        swap             swap        defaults         0   0

Does anyone have any ideas as to why kpowersave is trying to unmount an unmounted file system?

• Danny Al-Gaaf
      Danny Al-Gaaf

The reason is that KPowersave try to umount external storage devices for your safety. For this we use a DCOP function of the KDE Media Manager (kded --> mediamanager --> unmountAllSuspend()/remountAllResume()). 

I don't know at the moment if this function is already upstream in KDE (the function was developed by SUSE) and if this is already in your KDE version. And I don't atm if the upstream KDE Media manager is already fixed, there was a bug in one of the version on SUSE ... Maybe you need to install a new kdebase3 package (or check the SUSE kdebase3 source for the patch).

On the other hand you can simply select the "Don't show again" checkbox on the dialoga and you should never again see the dialog. Or you set in '~/.kde/share/config/kpowersaverc' the value of 'unmountExternalOnSuspend' to 'false'.

I hope this help you.

• Ahh; that is probably why; I do not have unmountAllSuspend nor remountAllResume DCOP calls (from looking at kdcop output).  Thank you!