Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

powersaved on Ubuntu

Help
2006-09-15
2013-04-08
  • LocustPlague
    LocustPlague
    2006-09-15

I installed powersaved on my amd64-k8 version of Ubuntu 6.06 (Dapper Drake) and it works fine. I installed the 32b version (due to some driver issues I was having) and powersaved works just great...as long as I'm plugged into the wall. If I unplug the plug, my CPU frequency drops to 800 MHz (50%) and won't budge from there. If I try to manually set the frequency to 1.6GHz, it will change the governor to performance, but leave the frequency at 800MHz. If I change the governor, it will change, but no matter what is happening, whether it is CPU activity or an attempt at manually setting the frequency, the frequency is locked at 800MHz.

• jmfv
      jmfv
      2006-09-15

That is frequency scalling, to save power and stuff, even if you're plugged to the wall. Powersaved will use the 1.6GHz only whenever it is necessary. If you want to force 1.6GHz all the time in the Performance Scheme, edit

/etc/powersave/scheme_performance

and set

CPUFREQUENCY="performance"

Restart powersaved (
      /etc/init.d/powersaved stop
      /etc/init.d/powersaved start).

Cheers

• LocustPlague
      LocustPlague
      2006-09-15

well, the thing is, I would just like the option to set it on the fly (as I have when the power is plugged in) via the gnome cpufreq applet.

Also, regardless of what I do, and regardless of which scheme I'm in, I can't get the cpu frequency to go up to 1.6GHz.

When I try to stop the service, it tells me that it [fail]s. Starting is [OK] though.

Additionally, it functions as I would like when the jack is plugged in...it seems like, when charging, it just does whatever it wants, regardless of what governor is selected.