Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Debugging failed admin logins

2012-11-01
2013-01-23
  • Simon Hobson
    Simon Hobson
    2012-11-01

I've upgraded a server from Debian Squeeze to Wheezy, now I can't login to the PDA admin page. I'm fairly certain it's not a PFA specific problem as it affects Squrrelmail as well. I know the username/password is OK as I can log in to Roundcube fine.
    I've had this before with Suirrelmail, and from memory I had to force install a slightly older PHP version - but since there's now quite a large difference in versions I don't want to put those old ones back in.

Any suggestions on how to go about debugging this ?
    Or suggestions for a better forum to ask for help in ?

• This sounds like you might have a problem with the session cookie.

First check the error_log if it contains something

Then create a small test file ("cookie.php", in the same directory as postfixadmin) to find out if session cookies work in general:

<?php
    session_start();
    echo session_id() . "<pre>";
    var_dump($_SESSION);
    $_SESSION = 'works';
    ?>

Open cookie.php in your browser _twice_. The first time, you should see a session id and an empty array. The second time, you should see the same session id, and additionally the array should contain 'foo' => 'works'. If you get a different result, check the session-related settings in your php.ini (or your apache config if you override it there).

If you are unsure if your browser sends back the session cookie, check it with var_dump($_COOKIE)

• Simon Hobson
    Simon Hobson
    2012-11-02

That worked - second time I got the  'foo' => 'works' bit.

But really strange - this morning, both logins work. Very odd :-/

Now off to see if I can break everything again by upgrading the backend DB server :D