Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Random rejection of known recipient

Sampson
2013-04-03
2013-04-04
  • Sampson
    Sampson
    2013-04-03

New to the forum but have been using this current set up for well over a year with no problems but here recently have found that postfix-2.6.6 is randomly rejecting incoming emails with the

Recipient address rejected: User unknown in relay recipient table; from=correct@emailaddress.com

This happened on three different users for about an hour, and then those same emails went through without a problem.

Currently we have Post fix, Mail Scanner, Clam AV, and Spam Assassin set up, however since none of the e-mails in question made it past Post fix I am not sure that makes a difference.

Also I know that no changes have been made to the e-mail system in months, no add/delete of email accounts. So I am wondering if anyone has run into this type of issue before.

Let me know if there are any logs that might be helpful in figuring this out

• Simon Hobson
    Simon Hobson
    2013-04-03

Funnily enough, I've been having similar issues. When I tried to take my new servers live, I found that random emails would be rejected as "unknown recipients" even though the recipients most certainly were known.
    SInce then I've tried setting up a local MySQL instance on each server in the group and replicating the tables - on the assumption that every now and then a query is failing and having a local DB should improve things. Haven't had chance to test it yet.

I couldn't find any errors (or indeed anything relevant) in the logs.

• Sampson
    Sampson
    2013-04-04

We have a recipient table that is created and pushed to the server for postfix to read from. So I know that there should not be an issue with a Query or anything like that. Also it only happened to 3 people and the other emails that came in were fine. I am glad to know that I am not the only one that this is happening too.