Vacation, already notified

• Vlada

I've configured vacation, it is working ok,  but just for first email. So, if has Auto response enabled, and sends an email to user1, user2 gets "Out of office" email. But if user2 sends another email to user1, nothing happens. In vacation.log there is:
    Already notified, or some error prevented us from doing so

In there is:
      if (already_notified($email, $orig_from) == 1) {
               $logger->debug("Already notified $orig_from, or some error prevented us from doing so");

So, when first mail is sent, new row in vacation_table is added, and all succeeding email from that user are ignored.

Is this how it should be?

• Simon Hobson
    Simon Hobson

Yes. IIRC there is either setting, or a value you'd have to change in the code, for how often a reply is sent. The idea is that if you send (say) 20 emails/day to User1, you only get one vacation message/day (or 1/period you've selected) instead of 20 (one per message sent).

• Vlada

Are you reffering to RC version from SVN?

• It's already available in 2.3.x - $interval in (or /etc/postfixadmin/vacation.conf if you use an external configfile)

• Vlada

Thanks christian.
    In I have:
    # notification interval, in seconds
    # set to 0 to notify only once
    # e.g. 1 day …
    #my $interval = 60*60*24;
    # disabled by default
    our $interval = 0;

So what is my $interval, and what is our $interval? I should comment our $interval and uncomment my $interval?
    What should I set for my $interval?

• Please use "our $interval" ("my $interval" will fail if you use an external configfile - besides that, it's the same variable, and I just replaced the "my" with "our" in SVN trunk to avoid future confusion).

You can choose the value (in seconds) for $interval as you need - if you want an autoreply to every mail, setting "our $interval = 1;" (1 second) is probably what you want.

• Vlada

Thanks again christian.
    This is what I want.

So, actually, it compares sending time with time in notified_at and if it is greater then what is set as interval, it sends email? Right?

If I set interval to 20 minutes, and send another mail after 10 minutes I'm not going to be notified again? And if I send another mail after 25 minutes I will be notified?

• Charles

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the 'recommended setting' (I think it was one of the RFCs) is once per week (or once every 7 days).

Personally I think this is much too long of an interval. I prefer the once per day interval.

I would strongly recommend against setting this to reply to every email… that is just plain silly, and potentially problematic (think people who are subscribed to email lists that aren't ignored - if the list is high traffic, they will be inundating innocent list participants with auto-replies, and will most likely be forcibly unsubscribed as a result)…

Why do you think that once per day is not enough?

• Vlada

Well, maybe you are right, once per day is fine. I just needed to changee default (just one reply) which isn't good for me.