Qt
omfgppc
2008-01-28
2013-03-08
  • omfgppc
    omfgppc
    2008-01-28

ned wrote: Greetings all,

As you may have heard, our partners at Trolltech AS (makers of the Qt development environment) have agreed to be sold to Nokia, the Finnish phone giant.  Trolltech is headquartered in Norway, so it''s kind of a neighborhood deal :)

But seriously, from everything we''ve heard, we think this is at worst a neutral development for xTuple community - and there could be some very real upside.  Trolltech and Nokia both reiterated in very strong language their commitment to both maintaining the open source licensing of the Qt products, and the cross-platform capability that makes them so attractive to us and others.  And why wouldn''t they?  It''s what makes Trolltech attractive in the first place.

As many of you know, I maintain a personal blog called the ERP Graveyard (www.erpgraveyard.com), and I think I''ve developed a healthy cynicism about software acquirors'' assurances about their commitment to acquired products.  So far, I see nothing in the least alarming in the Nokia-Trolltech deal.

Be assured that we''ll stay on top of this, and have a range of options we could pursue should the situation change.  But our read as of now is that Nokia will be a very strong corporate parent for Trolltech (they''ve been active in other open source projects for many years), and that our community of users should see some real benefit from this in the months and years to come.

If anyone would like to discuss this, please feel free to weigh in with any questions, thoughts, or comments below.

Warm regards,
    Ned

--
    Ned Lilly
    President and CEO
    xTuple (formerly OpenMFG) -- Read more at http://www.xtuple.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1391