2015:3927 --

omfgppc
2008-04-03
2013-03-08
  • omfgppc
    omfgppc
    2008-04-03

cmrukcom wrote: John,

this is similar to what we were looking for, but perhaps I think the other way around to what I was asking for. We have a complex build which is composed of many subassemblies - those subassemblies are composed of sub-subassemblies and so on down for 4 or 5 levels. A few of the subassemblies contain serial numbered components - either because they have to be tested by us, and certified, or because they have been bought in and have asssociated warranties with the original manufacturer. The subassemblies that contain serial numbered items are generally also themselves serial numbered (though I suppose they need not necessarily be) with the serial number being defined as WO#_Unique Letter (our batches are usually 1) eg 50002-1_A.

We would need a report that for a top level system build, shows all the serial numbered items contained within that specific build. This is for the scenario in which the customer phones up in 4 years time to say that a particular part is no longer working. With such a report it would be possible for us to pull up their system build, track the serial number of the problem component, find out when it was bought and if it is now out of warranty and to deal with the customer problem most effectively. I suspect but am not in a position to confirm, that functionality like this is almost essential for ISO 9000/9001 so it really needs to be something that can be done under the advanced serial number tracking proposed for the upcoming ver 3.0.

In its simplest configuration the report would probably only need a single input field - namely the serial number that one is looking to get a serial number report on. A more advanced version might allow one to select a particular item, a listing of all serial numbers under that item is listed, and this list can be drilled down into to see all the serial numbers enclosed within that particular top level item.

Note - In our situation I don''t think it is really necessary to have all the subassembly layers in the complex build visualised with indents in the serial number report - it might be sufficient, and perhaps clearer to read, if just a listing of item code-serial number was available. This way if one has a top level build made from 5 assemblies and each of these has 5 subassemblies and each of these 5 subsubassemblies (625 in all) and only 10 parts in the whole structure are serialised, then you do not end up with 99% chaff. Perhaps other users might comment. -- Read more at http://www.xtuple.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2015