588:1267 -- Setting up inventory attributes

2007-11-20
2013-03-08
  • I''m in process of looking at my part number scheme.

Our present items donot reflect color attributes. We have over a thousand part numbers at the present, we would like to have a color attribute for each of our part numbers. We offer each of our products in 50 colors.

Is there a way to automate this process?

Thank You

Jim Larsen -- Read more at http://www.xtuple.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=588

• Hi Jim,

You can use the xTuple CSV import tool to import data directly into the database, or any ODBC compliant tool for that matter. Though you must be extremely careful doing this.

There is a strongly likelihood we will be able to squeeze API views in for Item and subordinate records like item characteristics on the 2.3 release, which will make an exercise like this much safer and easier.

For more information on what I am talking about, please see the following link to the API toolkit:
      http://www.xtuple.org/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=43&Itemid=50

I presume you aim to reduce your item number list by substituting characteristic options for item numbers. You should think carefully about structuring your data this way. Putting colors in as characteristics typically makes sense if you are 100% make to order (say a custom T-shirt shop). If you inventory any of these items, however, you are best off creating an item record for each color permutation. This is because the inventory control system revolves around item numbers and has no awareness of characteristics. If you inventory items with different characteristics under the same item number, you will have no way of knowing what your quantities on hand are by characteristic. 

This may seem like a frustrating limitation at first, but even if you look at systems that claim to allow you to minimize item numbers by using a master number with alternate attributes (The style-size-color scheme in packages targeted towards the apparel industry is a common example) youll find you still have to set up a matrix to control inventory and BOM definition data for each attribute permutation which ultimately ends up being just as complicated, if not more so, than setting up an item master record for each one.

Regards,

John

[b:b4b4ebcafa]From:[/b:b4b4ebcafa] amseam [mailto:howto@xtuple.org]
      [b:b4b4ebcafa]Sent:[/b:b4b4ebcafa] Sunday, November 04, 2007 9:00 AM
      [b:b4b4ebcafa]To:[/b:b4b4ebcafa] howto@xtuple.org
      [b:b4b4ebcafa]Subject:[/b:b4b4ebcafa] [xTuple-howto] Setting up inventory attributes

I''m in process of looking at my part number scheme.

Our present items donot reflect color attriutes. We have over a thousand part numbers at the present, we would like to have a color attribute for each of our part numbers. We offer each of our products in 50 colors.

Is there a way to automate this process?

Thank You

Jim Larsen

Post generated using Mail2Forum at xTuple forums -- Read more at http://www.xtuple.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=588