pc based

Help
d_stew
2007-12-14
2013-03-08
  • d_stew
    d_stew
    2007-12-14

can you tell me if this program can be run on a stand alone computer, or web based?
    dave

• Pierce Tyler
      Pierce Tyler
      2007-12-14

Hi, Dave:

Yes, you can run PostBooks on a standalone computer. You can also run it over the Internet--or over an Intranet.

Regards,
      Pierce

• Steve
        Steve
        2007-12-29

Can you expound on this a bit more.  I've been looking all over for this info. 
        Demo Vids showed installing to a standalone PC so I learned that that could be done.
        Do you install the GUIclient on other PCs and then set up access through the login options?
        Are there any howto's on doing this?
        Special requirements for a Postbooks Server?  How to set one up? 
        Should the Server computer be a server only or be used as a client as well?
        Please let me/us know if this info is addressed elsewhere already.

Thanks
        Steve

• Ned Lilly
          Ned Lilly
          2007-12-29

Hi Steve,

We have an all-in-one installer for Windows and Mac that installs both the PostgreSQL database and the PostBooks GUI client on one local machine.  The 2.2.1 versions are available now in the PostBooks-installer package; we'll have 2.3.0 versions available shortly.

That's an easy way to evaluate the software of course.  But for production use, you're much better off installing PostgreSQL on a dedicated server, and having your GUI clients connect to it over a local network or the Internet.  The amount of data that moves over the wire is very limited (text strings, query results), so it doesn't take much bandwidth.

There is info on how to do that in the INSTALL file in the PostBooks-databases package.  And of course, xTuple and its partners offer professional services to help you set up a production environment as well.

Cheers,
          Ned

• Steve
            Steve
            2007-12-30

Thanks for the quick and on-point response Ned. 

I'd like to take this a bit further - I just discovered this program today and b4 spending time installing and playing with it I need to know a few things.

It sounds to me like you are saying that it can be used on a standalone PC (especially for demo purposes) and/or installed on a server with users on inter or intra net.

As you surmised, I am looking at a production environment - I'm an accountant and will want staff to be able to access multiple companies, sometimes simultaneously both over inter and intra net.  I may even want clients to be able to access their own companies over the internet.

Can Postbooks handle all that?

If so -
            are there limits for simultaneous users? 
            Does Postbooks handle record locking etc?
            Can it handle users on both intra and inter nets simultaneously?
            How finely can user permissions be set?

What kind of support can I get from xTuple re: installation, design and use?

Hope this is relatively on topic and appropriate for this forum  :  )

Thanks

Steve

• Ned Lilly
              Ned Lilly
              2007-12-30

> Thanks for the quick and on-point response Ned. 

Sure thing, that's what we're here for.

> It sounds to me like you are saying that it can be used on a standalone
              > PC (especially for demo purposes) and/or installed on a server with users on
              > inter or intra net.

Correct.

> As you surmised, I am looking at a production environment - I'm an accountant
              > and will want staff to be able to access multiple companies, sometimes simultaneously
              > both over inter and intra net.  I may even want clients to be able to access
              > their own companies over the internet.
              >
              > Can Postbooks handle all that?

Indeed.

> If so -
              > are there limits for simultaneous users?

Not to speak of.  You can use roughly 20 concurrent users per commodity Intel CPU as a proxy for estimating server size.

> Does Postbooks handle record locking etc?

Yes - it's designed for high-concurrency usage.  Depending on the case, sometimes in the database, sometimes in the client.  Do you have a particular scenario you're curious about?

> Can it handle users on both intra and inter nets simultaneously?

It works over TCP/IP, so it's kind of the same as far as PostBooks is concerned.  See http://www.xtuple.com/docs/userguide/introduction3 ...

It's actually possible, and sensible, to run the GUI client off a network share inside a company.  You can put pointers to it on each user's desktop, and that way you only have one binary to maintain.

> How finely can user permissions be set?

Very.  Check out System / Maintain Users in the application, or http://www.xtuple.com/docs/userguide/system35

> What kind of support can I get from xTuple re: installation, design and use?

As much, or as little, as you like/need.  See http://www.xtuple.com/pricing

> Hope this is relatively on topic and appropriate for this forum  :  )

Of course.  We try to encourage discussion over at the xtuple.org forums, however - would you mind taking future questions over there?  (It's mirrored here, but we haven't quite figured out how to mirror content generated at SF over at our site...)

Cheers,
              Ned

• d_stew
      d_stew
      2007-12-14

Thanks I couldn't find anything that told for sure

Dave