Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Logging exception on JBoss Portal 2.6.1

2007-09-05
2013-04-22
  • War-Machine
    War-Machine
    2007-09-05

Hi. I am trying to install the portlet bridge on JBoss AS 4.0.5 with JBoss Portal 2.6.1 installed. I dropped the portlet bridge .war file into the server's /deploy directory, but I keep getting the following exception:

2007-09-05 09:02:37,575 ERROR [org.apache.commons.modeler.BaseModelMBean] Exception invoking method addChild
    java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org.apache.log4j.Category.log(Ljava/lang/String;Lorg/apache/log4j/Level;Ljava/lang/Object;Ljava/lang/Thro$
            at org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4JCategoryLog.error(Log4JCategoryLog.java:149)

I read a post that said something about a conflict with commons-logging. I tried replacing commons-logging-1.0.4.jar in the /server/default/lib directory with commons-logging-1.0.3.jar, but still the exception occurs.

Can anybody help with this? Thanks!

• J.D.
      J.D.
      2007-09-17

I'm having the same problem with JBoss Portal 2.6.1 as bundled with JBoss AS 4.2.1 (the Portal Bundle download from the JBoss site).  I noticed the following in the JBoss log as the portletbridge-portlet.war attempted to deploy:

Caused by: org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException: User-specified
      log class 'org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4JCategoryLog' cannot be found or
      is not useable. Did you mean 'org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4JLogger'?

Anyone have any ideas?

• War-Machine
        War-Machine
        2007-09-18

It's been a couple of weeks of me combing multiple portal forums, so I hope I am replying correctly to your question. I believe the bridge is already part of JBP 2.6.1 (I don't think that you deploy the .war, the bridge is already installed as part of JBP 2.6.1). I remember trying to deploy the bridge .war, but then I received multiple errors. Take a look under your /jboss-portal.sar/lib directory of your server's /deploy directory. You will see a portal-bridge.jar file. That's why I believe it's already installed. I was also trying to get a Struts app working as a portlet. This site says that the Struts bridge is already integrated:

http://portals.apache.org/bridges/index.html

Check out this post on the JBoss Portal forum. I don't know whether it will help your research or not:

http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&t=118130

• J.D.
      J.D.
      2007-09-24

I ended up using the "IFrame Portlet" from the JBoss PortletSwap site:
      http://labs.jboss.com/portletswap/portlets_misc.html
      instead of PortletBridge.  The IFrame Portlet seems to be pretty successful at including the content of an upstream website.  But if you ever leave the portal page with the IFrame'd site, you loose where you are in that site and start all over when you come back to the tab with the IFrame.  Perhaps this is obvious, and probably this occurs as well with PortletBridge, but it was something I hadn't considered before.
      I took another try at getting PortletBridge working on JBoss Portal.  I tried removing all Log4J and commons logging references in the code, recompiling, and rebuilding the war, but that didn't work because there are other dependencies on Log4J and commons logging in the referenced commons digester library and other commons libraries.
      JBoss tech support said that they ran PortletBridge OK in AS 4.0.5 and Portal 2.6.1  They said that they got an error but that PortletBridge worked anyway.  They advised, however that AS 4.0.5 and Portlet 2.6.1 is not a supported platform - For Portal 2.61. they recommend AS 4.2.1 - and that's the platform I'm trying to use, and get the error above.
      So, for now, it appears that IFrame Portlet is the solution that works with JBoss Portal.

• james mcgrange
      james mcgrange
      2007-11-25

Hi,

I've got a release tested with JBoss Portal 2.6.1 pending (next couple of days, or as soon as upload.sf.net works). It removes the dependency on Commons Logging which gets rid of the error above or at least for me.

• Abby
      Abby
      2007-11-26

Thank you!  I am also getting the same error with JBoss Portal 2.6.1, so definitely looking forward to this.