Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

New Version: V4 (Ubuntu 10.4 LTS)

Help
bob_wh
2011-08-20
2013-04-23
1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)
  • bob_wh
    bob_wh
    2011-08-20

Hi All:

Since the originator of this project seems to be no longer actively involved
    (his web site is no longer accessable and he does not respond to my two attempts to
    contact him by mail), it is up the community of users to do any upgrades to the
    project as needed.  Since the current version is no longer supported by Ubuntu,
    I Have built a version that was upgraded to Ubuntu 10.4 LTS(long term support).

There were numberous problems after the upgrade.  The two major problems that I fixed
    are:

1. Disable plymouth to prevent aborting the startup process, terminating console
       output, deactivating the shutdown Button on the gnome panel.

2. Fix the display variable as XAUTH no longer accepts the screen number and this
       was preventing the Gnome Panel from starting up properly.

A more detailed list of the changes in the DOC subdirectory in the NEWS.txt file.

Also, It was necessary to upgrade CoLinux to the Stable version released on 2/16/11.

I am making this release available for others to use via my dropbox.  The links
    to use are given below:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13003264/Portable_Ubuntu_V4_081411.exe
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13003264/Portable_Ubuntu_V4_081411.md5

You can use a utility like MD5SUM or HASHCALC to verify that all of the file got
    downloaded correctly (the .md5 file above contains the hash for the .exe file).
    If all the files are in the same directory you can use the following command line:

md5sum -c Portable_Ubuntu_V4_081411.md5

It should print "OK" if the file is correctly downloaded.

Run the .EXE file by double clicking on it and it will ask where you want to put
    the decompressed files.  After all the files are decompressed you can run portable
    Ubuntu by double clicking on the pubuntu.exe file in top level directory that the
    files were decompressed to.

The configuration file still has the memory specified as 254 and was tested to
    run on a Pentium4 with 1gb of memory.  You may want to increase the memory size
    is you have more available.

Also, the keyboard was set to the US layout for the console. If you need a different
    layout, using the following command in the terminal window:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure console-setup

Also, the ubuntu screen saver has been deactivated to prevent the X-windows server
    from going into a CPU loop. Windows has it own screensaver, so there is no need to
    have more than one screensaver active.

I believe that most of the problems reported on the previous version are fixed in
    this version (V4). If you find any that are not, please report it.

If you have problems with the installation of pubuntu V4 you can report them as
    replies to this topic. If you have problems with Ubuntu check the Ubuntu forums
    before reporting it here. If you have problems with Colinux, check the Colinux
    mailing list or wiki before reporting it here.

Note: the .exe file scanned for viruses with Kaspersky 2009 before uploading and
    another scan was done after a test download of the .exe file. In both cases it was
    free of any viruses.

-Bob

• John Cowan
    John Cowan
    2011-08-21

Thank you!  I look forward to switching to Lucid very shortly.

• sascha
    sascha
    2011-08-31

Hi,
    i am interested in trying your version.
    But sadly Dropbox has blocked your links with the error message:

This account's public links are generating too much traffic and have been temporarily disabled!

Can you use some other service that is good for large files please?

Thanks.

• bob_wh
    bob_wh
    2011-09-03

Hi Beo6:

The dropbox support people say that you banned from downloading when you exceed 10gb/day (banned for 3 days).  Since the file is 1.7gb that means that 4 people (after I did a test download) caused it to hit the limit.  I have requested a way to limit downloads per day but have not heard from dropbox support yet.

Please do not try to download until we hear back from dropbox support.

I spend two days looking for other services but most allow only smaller files.  I have found some in Canada and Europe but don't know about reliability and we might hit some limit again.

I can either try to reduce the size of the root image (probably by shrinking free space or removing applications) or built a compressed file of the changed files only and instructions for doing the upgrade yourself and applying the fixes.   Which do you prefer?  It may be difficult to reduce the size from 1.7gb
    to under 0.5 gb. which is the max size for most file services.

However, if you know of any services that can handle about 2gb  for multiple downloads we could try that. 

-Bob

• sascha
    sascha
    2011-09-04

hello,

maybe http://www.depositfiles.com/ can help?

only limit as far as i see. after 30 days when no one have downloaded the file it will get deleted.

As soon as i have my new webserver running i can host it there. It will have unlimited traffic so it should make no problems.

• John Cowan
    John Cowan
    2011-09-05

One approach is to use split under Linux to divide the .exe file into four pieces, each less than 0.5GB.  The command

split -b 500M Portable_Ubuntu_V4_081411.exe Portable_Ubuntu_V4_081411

will create four files named Portable_Ubuntu_V4_081411aa, Portable_Ubuntu_V4_081411ab, Portable_Ubuntu_V4_081411ac, and Portable_Ubuntu_V4_081411ad.

Then the following one-line .bat file will reassemble them under Windows:

copy /b Portable_Ubuntu_V4_081411aa+Portable_Ubuntu_V4_081411ab+Portable_Ubuntu_V4_081411ac+Portable_Ubuntu_V4_081411ad Portable_Ubuntu_V4_081411.exe

Then you can use any file service to host the four main files and the .bat file.  Here are the MD5 checksums:

1b0877d9680484e180b33e06070e305f  Portable_Ubuntu_V4_081411aa
    a032d0cb4740ebaaf434146c172ca0d8  Portable_Ubuntu_V4_081411ab
    5005553842e97fc8061ebc173665476f  Portable_Ubuntu_V4_081411ac
    6a84c6adad4a5ab9de66cff758f94f83  Portable_Ubuntu_V4_081411ad

• bob_wh
    bob_wh
    2011-09-06

Hi Beo6:

I tried to used depositfiles.com but when I downloaded to test the service it failed the checksum test.
    It took 3 1/2 hours to upload and about 3 hours plus to download (upload averag rate=146kb/sec,download rate average was 200kb/sec with their special download program).  When I went to download the .md5 they want me wait 2 hours 40 minutes because I had hit some limit even though the file was only 65kb.  They claim that their limit is 5gb/day but according to my calculation I only used 1.7gb upload + 1.7gb download =3.4gb.  I now wonder if dropbox limit of 10/gb per day is actually much smaller.  Since we were banned twice 9 people should have been able to download by the time we reached the limit.  Since there has been no feedback, I don't know if anybody  successfully downloaded.  You can let me know if you get your web server running and I will put it there is you want.

Hi john:

thanks for your suggestion.  However, it still suffers from the same problem of hitting the transfer limit if we put all four parts on one service.   If we spread the parts across four services that makes it a really difficult people trying to download and the services may still try to restrict the number of downloads.

Since these services may not be intending to be in the business of distributing open source software,  I thing the best solution is to create another project on source forge for this release.  I was thinking of extending the portable design to handle more distributions such as fedora,suse, some of which would be a smaller distribution such as Xubuntu, bodhi, etc.  I'd also like to see the process of creating a portable distribution more automated. 

I also think that I should try to reduce the size close to the size of TRES release.  It looks like removing Open Office and the games would free up 300mb.  I can also get rid of a 1gb in the uncompressed root if I remove some of the free space.  Open Office or libre office easily be download from the net after the user has installed the distribution.  Do you have any other suggesting for software that is not normally needed on the distribution?  I have seen quite a few complains on the net about the size of the previous release.

I would estimate that it will take me about a week or two to reduce the size and create the new project on source forge.

-Bob

• sascha
    sascha
    2011-09-06

hi.
    And sorry about all your trouble and lost time.

i have send you an email over sourceforge.
    I hope it works and we can finaly share your great work. ( even when i was not able to try it. ;) )

• otaku888
    otaku888
    2011-09-07

I'm happy to mirror the files if anyone has a copy…

• John Cowan
    John Cowan
    2011-09-08

otaku888, I have the original file, but how do I get it to you?

• otaku888
    otaku888
    2011-09-08

Hi John, I have messaged you with the FTP details. As soon as you are done I'll post the link.

• sascha
    sascha
    2011-09-08

johnwcowan, i have send you an e-mail too.

so someone here can upload it.
    And thanks to him as soon as someone uploaded it.

• sascha
    sascha
    2011-09-08

haha. Sorry now you have two ways to upload it.
    As i see it i recommend you upload it to otaku888´s FTP.
    (FTP uploads are more reliable then HTTP)

Then i will be happy to mirror it.

• John Cowan
    John Cowan
    2011-09-08

I got beo6's email first, so I am uploading there.  It will take a loooong time over asymmetric DSL, so if it fails I'll look into the FTP option.

• otaku888
    otaku888
    2011-09-08

ok no problem, as long as we can get our hands on it - that's the main thing. :)

have you tried it btw? does it work well?

• Anonymous
    2011-09-08

I am not familiar with Sourceforge, but isn't it possible to takeover the project? There must be a way of continuing an abandoned project in Sourceforge.

Also, I have no idea how the distribution is put together but isn't it possible to just distribute a small program that uses the existing ubuntu installation from the live CD? instead of distributing a 500MB big file? if this is not possible, what about making a image with absolutely the bare minimum, where the rest can be installed by synaptic?

I think the idea of the project is too good to be abandoned, I wish I know more to help.

• John Cowan
    John Cowan
    2011-09-08

Yes, it works extremely well.  I just copied my home directory to Windows (only the visible stuff, not the dot files and dot directories) and then installed the new executable into C:\Program Files\Portable_Ubuntu_V4 (you can put it anywhere you like, but that makes sense to me).  It booted up immediately.  I created my own username and set it up as the auto login (see elsewhere in this forum) and changed the .profile to start up "gnome-terminal &" instead of "pubuntu-panel", as don't use Linux GUI apps very often.   I then did "sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get upgrade" to upgrade (not too many packages).

• otaku888
    otaku888
    2011-09-08

Ah that's good to hear, I also tend to use terminal more, but quite enjoyed running evolution in the last version. But it had some problems.

Can't wait for your upload to complete. Hopefully you have more than 1MB up.

• John Cowan
    John Cowan
    2011-09-08

41% uploaded now and still going, so it'll probably take another day.

• John Cowan
    John Cowan
    2011-09-09

Okay, I uploaded about 60% of it.  The file I uploaded should be truncated to exactly 1040 M, or 1090519040 bytes.  I have made several tries at uploading the remaining 727070170 bytes, but no luck yet.  I'll keep trying.

• bob_wh
    bob_wh
    2011-09-09

To Otaku888:

If you have not got the upload yet, send the information that I need to upload the file via ftp.  I have a fiber optic link to the internet but its usually the server that is the slowest component.

-Bob

• bob_wh
    bob_wh
    2011-09-09

To AlfC:

I have already requested takeover of the project about a week ago. However,  sourceforge does not allow a takeover unless the previous owner agrees.  However, so far the previous owner has not responded. Since his web site has been off the net for months he may not be reachable.

-bob

• John Cowan
    John Cowan
    2011-09-09

Okay, I have started the upload of the second part again.  Hopefully it will go through to the end this time.

I suppose one approach would be to open a second project on Sourceforge for v4 only.

• Anonymous
    2011-09-09

to bob:
    did you try this email? I think I have it from an old conversation:   demonccc_y@yahoo.com.ar

• sascha
    sascha
    2011-09-09

Hi johnwcowan,

what do you mean with the remaining bytes?

i believe when the upload canceled the upload is gone.
    And i dont see any file of that size on the server.

I really believe we should upload it over ftp. So problems like this will not appear. I believe the server-limits where still too low. even when i have set the timeouts to some days etc.

i have now installed an FTP-Server there too. So if you really want to upload there i can send you the information for it. (i should have thought about this first. Sorry)

1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)