Networking real IP

Help
hackmaster
2009-04-09
2013-04-23
  • hackmaster
    hackmaster
    2009-04-09

I wonder if it is possible to give pubuntu a real IP address, or even access to one of the NICs on its host device. I would like it to have a real IP on my network so I can get access to it from other machines on the network (and eventually use distcc to allow my fast windows PC to help other machines compile).

Also, is it possible to allow it access to multiple cores? This machine has 8 and seems to be limited to the max of the one process.  (colinux-daemon.exe)

also, it really freaks out with multiple monitors. It seem to spawn the gnome-panel offscreen, if i have the second monitor hooked up or not. There is no way to get it back without using the task manager to maximize it and then coaxing it to shrink back to its normal size. No reall big deal though, just a hurdle.

(windows 7 beta OS, 3GB ram, Core 2 duo) and (Windows 7 beta, 12GB ram, Core i7)

• Kitty Draper
    Kitty Draper
    2010-11-30

I haven't found a way to give your pubuntu install a separate IP address from your windows install yet.  I think I know how that's supposed to happen, but I haven't gotten it working yet.  I can, however, tell you how to allow incoming connections to your pubuntu install using the same IP as the computer it's on.

1. In your pubuntu directory, open config\portable_ubuntu.conf
    2. Find the section labeled
    3. Find the following line: #ports_to_redirect=tcp:22:22
    4. Uncomment that line and change the port numbers to whatever ports you would like to access.  The first number is the windows port (the one you'll actually type into the application trying to make access), while the second is the pubuntu port (the port that pubuntu will be listening on).  In most cases you'll likely want those to be the same.  You may redirect multiple ports by separating them with slashes; i.e.: ports_to_redirect=tcp:22:22/udp:48:48/tcp:21:21/tcp:80:80

Once you've done that, the ports listed will be accessible from other computers using your "host" computer's IP address, or from your host computer using the address 127.0.0.1 or localhost.

Hope that helps! (Despite being quite late… Hope it helps someone, at least.)

• nateddgg
    nateddgg
    2011-12-11

Hello, Ive tryed to follow your instructions as best as i could.
    And im able to use firefox from ubuntu portable np.

My Question is how can i get my ubuntu to see its real ip address
    Ill try to explain what i mean but showing u what i see in ubuntu.

pubuntu@pubuntu:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart
    * Restarting web server apache2                                               apache2: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 127.0.0.1 for ServerName
    … waiting apache2: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 127.0.0.1 for ServerName
    Apache/2.2.14 mod_ssl/2.2.14 (Pass Phrase Dialog)
    Some of your private key files are encrypted for security reasons.
    In order to read them you have to provide the pass phrases.

Server 127.0.0.1:80 (RSA)
    Enter pass phrase:

OK: Pass Phrase Dialog successful.

the 2 bold lines, is there any way to set the ip address so its not 127.0.0.1?
    i would like for people to be able to access my apache2 webserver/website from the internet.

my ifconfig looks like
    pubuntu@pubuntu:~$ ifconfig
    eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:ff:75:39:d3:c1 
              inet addr:10.0.2.15  Bcast:10.0.2.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
              inet6 addr: fe80::2ff:75ff:fe39:d3c1/64 Scope:Link
              UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
              RX packets:7249 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:7789 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
              RX bytes:870201 (870.2 KB)  TX bytes:1767547 (1.7 MB)
              Interrupt:10

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback 
              inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
              inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
              UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
              RX packets:12 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:12 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
              RX bytes:720 (720.0 B)  TX bytes:720 (720.0 B)

ANy help would be awesome, thx

• nateddgg
    nateddgg
    2011-12-11

forgot to bold this but
    inet addr:10.0.2.15 Bcast:10.0.2.255 Mask:255.255.255.0

is the ip address my ubuntu is trying to link itself to?
    that is not my ip address in any form

• bob_wh
    bob_wh
    2011-12-13

From your  ifconfig output it looks like it you are using the slirp daemon.  This mode of networking does not allow incoming access from the internet (check the colinux documentation in the colinux directory or look at the colinux wiki). It only allows outgoing access and the responses to that outgoing access.

The only way to is to use a bridged configuration.  The bridged configuration is currently broken in pubuntu and it is being worked on to fix it. It is mostly fixed as far as the Xserver is concerned but the gnome setting daemon goes into a connection failed loop.  It will be a couple of weeks before I get time to work on it again.

If you are in a rush, I suggest that you try to fix it on your local copy of pubuntu after reading the colinux
    documentation in the colinux directory. You will also need to have your local router to assign a address in response to the dhcp request.   Also in /etc/network/interfaces uncomment the line with "dhcp" in it.

-Bob