HOWTO: Fix your system if it won't boot

Help
2010-11-30
2013-04-23
  • Kitty Draper
    Kitty Draper
    2010-11-30

If you're finding that your pubuntu system won't boot, but instead, just sits on the splash screen forever, you're probably experiencing an error with your fstab that seems to have been introduced in TRES.  To fix that, you can take the following steps:

1. Look for the pubuntu icon in your task bar, right click it, and click restore
    2. In the terminal that pops up, press ESCAPE
    3. type: mount -o remount,rw /
    4. type: nano /etc/fstab
    5. delete the "-e" at the beginning of a line, just after cofsX.
    6. Press Ctrl+X, press Y, and press ENTER
    7. type: nano /etc/init.d/postmount_pubuntu.sh
    8. replace the first like (#! /bin/sh) with #! /bin/bash
    (/bin/sh doesn't handle echo -e properly, so that's where the issue is coming from - it'll happen again every time you boot if you don't do this step)
    9. Repeat step 6
    10. type: reboot

• lobelius
    lobelius
    2011-06-07

The above solution is just perfect when Pubuntu stays idle at 2nd reboot after installation.
    But even if the patch on both fstab and postmount is applied, Pubuntu can still fail to reboot if the last shutdown was incomplete or terminated unexpectedly (e.g. if Windows is restarted before Pubuntu shutdown ended).
    In the latter case, a fatal Cygwin/X error is displayed and Pubuntu is rebooted in terminal mode only (i.e. with no GUI).
    The solution I found worked for this particular problem is described here:
    http://www.voofie.com/content/167/fixing-cygwinx-error-in-portable-ubuntu-remix-tres/

Hope this helps the Pubuntu enthusiasts/novels as me.

• Michael
    Michael
    2011-06-14

I don't see the tray menu for Pubuntu. After messing with some batch files, I was able to make the XWindow server show up, but I didn't see any option for "Restore".

• Anonymous
    2012-02-15

I also don't see any tray menu..

• bob_wh
    bob_wh
    2012-02-15

GlenNU:

What version are you using.  This topic is for the TRES version.  Have your tried it on V4?

One possible cause is your Firewall/Antivirus/Security software is blocking it.  You can easily verify this by temporary shutting down this software and retrying Pubuntu.  If it works that way, then you can reconfigure your Security software to exclude scanning the .exe's in the Pubuntu directories.

The other issue discussed in the topic is when the last shutdown is incomplete. In that case you need
    to clean up/delete the temporary files used by Pubuntu in the TEMP directory (check your process environment variable TEMP). they are:

colinux.conf
    portable_ubuntu_info
    portable_ubuntu_ok
    swap.img

They are usually located in C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Temp.
    If not look at your TEMP environment variable to find the location. You must delete these temp files before restarting Pubuntu. Also make sure that all Pubuntu processes are deleted: pubuntu.exe, *colinux*.exe, xwin.exe., cmd.exe,trayrun.exe,pulseaudio.exe.

-Bob

• Anonymous
    2012-02-17

I'm using version 4:

h:\Pubuntu>bin\portable_ubuntu.bat
    Starting Portable Ubuntu…
    Setting the environment variables…
    Installing the Colinux driver (Need administrator privileges)…
    Cooperative Linux Daemon, 0.7.9
    Daemon compiled on Wed Feb 16 23:54:41 2011

driver not installed

loading h:\Pubuntu\colinuxStable021611\linux.sys
    failure: StartService (0x4fb)
    cannot install (rc 8083d80c)
    Executing colinux daemon…

colinux: manager open: The system cannot find the file specified.
    daemon: exit code 8287900e
    daemon: can't access CoLinuxDriver, please check status driver!
    Removing the Colinux driver (Need administrator privileges)…

driver not installed
    Deleting the temporaries files…
    Exiting from Portable Ubuntu…

• bob_wh
    bob_wh
    2012-02-18

GlenNU:

>Installing the Colinux driver (Need administrator privileges)…
    I hope that your are running with administrator privileges as it is required for Colinux driver to load

First, check your TEMP directory(TEMP environment variable points to it) after you have started Pubuntu to see of the colinux.conf file exists.If the file is okay and you can print it out and it looks normal then the problem is with Colinux. If Colinux is the problem you need to report it to the Colinux project:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/colinux/

-Bob