Disabling Plymouth and fixing Syslog issue

Help
Anonymous
2012-03-27
2013-04-23

• Anonymous
    2012-03-27

Hi there.
    Some time ago I felt the need to update the Ubuntu distro as you did.
    After the 10.04 Karmic upgrade I got two major issues:
    A boot issue with Plymouth. I found a quick workaround by removing the plymouth config files in /etc.
    A Syslog issue , where rsyslogd is running 100% CPU.
    First issue came back when I did upgrade to 11.04: every first boot stops due to the plymoth bug. when I reboot It runs fine.
    To handle the second issue I have to update the colinux kernel or to get back to syslog 4.2.0-2ubuntu8
    Currently I just disable syslog by executing "Service rsyslog stop" after logging.
    I would appreciate your help on the way you handled this two points.

Thanks in advance,

Nelson.

• bob_wh
    bob_wh
    2012-03-27

Hi Nelson:

The document directory of the distribution lists what I did to fix the plymouth problems:
    - Fixed Plymouth aborts by mounting /dev as tmpfs in fstab
    - Fixed missing console output and gnome panel with disabled shutdown button by
      disabling plymouth*.conf files.

The plymouth files were renamed to disable them.

Add to fstab:
    dev             /dev            tmpfs   rw              0       0
    I found these solutions using google search.

I don't recall any problems related to syslog.

It probably is a good idea to upgrade to the latest stable version of colinux when you are upgrading Ubuntu. I would also note that if colinux kernel version is not the same or higher that the kernel version of stock Ubuntu then it may not work with having some problem(s)

-Bob

• Anonymous
    2012-03-28

Hi Bob,
    Sorry for the plymouth point, I think I read your doc a bit too quickly.

Dealing with Syslog, I found this post relating my issue:
    http://e-mats.org/2011/04/rsyslogd-stuck-at-eating-100-or-more-cpu-after-upgrading-to-ubuntu-natty-narwhal/

I upgraded to the 0.7.9 Colinux version before doing the Ubuntu upgrade.
    uname -a gives me the following:
    Linux colinux 2.6.33.7-co-0.7.9 #1 PREEMPT Sat Apr 9 20:30:51 UTC 2011 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
    The post I refer to suggest I have to upgrade my kernel or downgrade syslog. I was wondering if you had rebuild any colinux kernel to manage this issue.

Thanks for your feedback.
    Nelson.

• Anonymous
    2012-03-28

By the way, I did apply all the solutions you suggest for the plymouth point. It worked fine until I upgraded once more. Now my system boots fine the second try, systematically. I hoped you had a more robust solution.

Nelson.