Menu

Colored rows?

Texas Fett
2005-06-13
2013-04-15
  • Texas Fett

Texas Fett - 2005-06-13

I am going through tons of old mail in PF history preparing to make another archive out of it for testing later.  While I was doing that (and still had 5000 to go) I got to thinking that maybe by coloring the entire row text I could identify errors faster.  I don't think this is worth making it an option, but maybe for a specialized skin it would be good.  It does make things a bit harder to read though since the text isn't so dark anymore.

http://www.jciv.com/popfile/coloredrows.png

It only requires modifying three lines.  The TR odd and even and then the Subject link (lines 147, 149, 178 of history-page.thtml in 0.22.2).  Just add this to all three:

style="color:<TMPL_VAR NAME="History_Bucket_Color">"

• Texas Fett

Texas Fett - 2005-06-13

That turned out harder to read than I expected.  An alternate version is to change the background, but that is not much better.

http://popfile.jciv.com/coloredrows2.png

• Texas Fett

Texas Fett - 2005-06-13

Finally one I found very useful.  It really spead things up.

http://popfile.jciv.com/coloredrows3.png

The only change on this one is the TD surrounding the subject (line 177 in 0.22.2) gets changed to:

<td style="border-left: 1em solid <TMPL_VAR NAME="History_Bucket_Color">;padding-left:0.4em;">

• James E Lang

James E Lang - 2005-06-14

Way to go, Joseph.

Looking at that gives me another idea that could be implemented in a skin. The Bucket column could be deselected if the colored patch had a title attribute to provide a tool tip with the bucket name when hovering the mouse over it. 

--
          Jim

• Texas Fett

Texas Fett - 2005-06-14

But for those with 40+ buckets wouldn't that be an inconvienance?  Even though I have only 12 buckets I found if really helpful to be able to look over sometimes and see the bucket name.  I was going for speed so a tooltip would just have slowed me down.

And anyway, since it is done with a border, you can't put a tooltip on it.

• James E Lang

James E Lang - 2005-06-14

Ok, Joseph. As I say, you've given me an idea. I think I'll experiment and report back as to what I experience. As you know, I think outside the box at times.

--
              Jim

• Texas Fett

Texas Fett - 2005-06-14

It could possibly be done by adding a span with a &nbsp; to the beginning of the Subject line.  And then coloring that.  I haven't tried it, but that would allow a title tag.

• Alec Burgess

Alec Burgess - 2005-06-21

Joseph: >>Finally one I found very useful.  It really spead things up.

http://popfile.jciv.com/coloredrows3.png

The only change on this one is the TD surrounding the subject (line 177 in 0.22.2)
          gets changed to:

<td style="border-left: 1em solid <TMPL_VAR
          NAME="History_Bucket_Color">;padding-left:0.4em;"><<

I really like this change :-)

Could you put the same color block on the Buckets page. Perhaps btw the Quarantine column and the bucket color dropdown?

At least with my current 0.22 "windows" skin on Firefox the color dropdown name is not colorized until you click the dropdown - and even then the color names and bucket names are not as distinctive as showing a color ""blot"

Also: Could you stick some headings in on the History page. For those who use Firefox and DocumentMap extension I mentioned a while ago, its a fast way to get to the bottom. Note: I haven't tested v0.23 or the new skins so this may already have been done.

Regards ... Alec

• Texas Fett

Texas Fett - 2005-06-21

>>Could you put the same color block on the Buckets page. Perhaps btw the Quarantine column and the bucket color dropdown?<<

Yep.  Jim's Reagan skin already does that I think.  I will either see what he did or just create one and post the required change.  It should be pretty simple.

>>At least with my current 0.22 "windows" skin on Firefox the color dropdown name is not colorized until you click the dropdown - and even then the color names and bucket names are not as distinctive as showing a color ""blot"<<

See this example of the different options I was investigating for 0.22 on the dropdown and the problems I ran into:

http://popfile.jciv.com/chooser.html

>>Also: Could you stick some headings in on the History page. For those who use Firefox and DocumentMap extension I mentioned a while ago, its a fast way to get to the bottom. Note: I haven't tested v0.23 or the new skins so this may already have been done.<<

I plan on looking into that for 0.23.  As long as it doesn't make a mess of the existing page layout I have no problem doing it.  But 0.23 appears to be pretty far off I haven't been in a hurry to finish up the skins updates and work on stuff like that.

• James E Lang

James E Lang - 2005-06-26

">>Could you put the same color block on the Buckets page. Perhaps btw the Quarantine column and the bucket color dropdown?<<

"Yep. Jim's Reagan skin already does that I think. I will either see what he did or just create one and post the required change. It should be pretty simple."

Yes, Joseph, I did that in reagan as part of an experiment in which I displayed that color block INSTEAD of coloring the bucket name but I was pretty sure that "everyone" else would want the bucket name colored and thus the color block tended to be redundant so I thought about pulling it out again. The technique I used is based on the fact that the columns on the Buckets page are separated by narrow columns of "&nbsp;". I simply made the column before the color widget 6px wide and defined the background color for that column to be the currently assigned color for that bucket.

In corpus-page.thtml I have replaced the <td> &nbsp; </td> that is between the quarantine and color picker widgets with this code

<TMPL_IF NAME="Corpus_If_Bucket_Not_Pseudo">
                      <td style="background-color:<TMPL_VAR NAME="Corpus_Bucket_Color">">
                <TMPL_ELSE>
                      <td>
                </TMPL_IF>
                          &nbsp;
                      </td>

The  conditional code is to eliminate the display of the color block for bucket "unclassified." Performing this test may be a matter of taste.

This is the technique about which I was thinking when I made my comments in another branch of this thread.

--
              Jim

• Texas Fett

Texas Fett - 2005-06-26

The conditional code is a good idea, probably no reason to show black for unclassified.  But the way you did it won't work in 0.23.  I got rid of those seperating narrow columns of "&nbsp;".  I don't really know why they where there in the first place.  The same can be done with margins/padding.

• James E Lang

James E Lang - 2005-06-27

I suppose that a 6px left border can probably be specified for the color widget with the bucket color used to override the color in the css. I'll look at that in conjuction with 0.22.2 that I'm running.

<OT>
                  Your mention of 0.23 makes me wonder how thiings stand with the current cvs code. Is it sorta (kinda) usable for experimentation with live data?
                  </OT>

--
                  Jim

• Texas Fett

Texas Fett - 2005-06-27

You aren't going to loose email by using the CVS code, but I don't use it for my actual email.  When experimenting with multiuser mode I couldn't get anything but the admin account to work and I don't remember that working perfectly either.  Single user mode may work better, but for some reason I can't get anything but the UI to work now in either mode.  Not sure what went wrong, I think it worked better than this last time I experimented with it and there is no new code except skins.

• Texas Fett

Texas Fett - 2005-06-27

I finally got around to reclassifying email for the first time in over a week, luckily not too many errors.  I liked having the unclassified messages marked with the black box.  Made them really stick out.

• James E Lang

James E Lang - 2005-06-28

"I liked having the unclassified messages marked with the black box. Made them really stick out."

Joseph, I'm not sure what you are saying here.

--
                    Jim

• Texas Fett

Texas Fett - 2005-06-28

Your conditional code made the unclassified bucket not show any color, that works for the buckets page I guess better than the history page.  On the history page while scanning through messages the black border makes it easy to notice them among the colored ones.

• James E Lang

James E Lang - 2005-06-28

Gotcha! I fully agree that the colored block would be useful for all buckets on the History page including bucket unclassified.

--
                        Jim

• Alec Burgess

Alec Burgess - 2005-06-27

Jim: > In corpus-page.thtml I have replaced the <td> &nbsp; </td> that is between the quarantine and color picker widgets with this code:

<TMPL_IF NAME="Corpus_If_Bucket_Not_Pseudo">
                        <td style="background-color:<TMPL_VAR NAME="Corpus_Bucket_Color">">
                  <TMPL_ELSE>
                        <td>
                  </TMPL_IF>
                            &nbsp;
                        </td>

Thanks, works great with 0.22

Regards ... Alec