Menu

Vista Compatibility information on Wiki?

2007-06-28
2013-04-15
  • naoki iimura

naoki iimura - 2007-06-28

I think we need a document about compatibility with Windows Vista on Wiki.

Brian, can you write the compatibility information?
    I'll translate it into Japanese.

Naoki

• Brian Smith

Brian Smith - 2007-06-28

>> I think we need a document about compatibility with Windows Vista on Wiki <<

OK, I'll write something about 0.22.5 and Vista.

Brian

• Alec Burgess

Alec Burgess - 2007-07-04

Brian: wrt. Popfile, installers and Vista "problems" have you seen this Ms TechNet article:
        Script Elevation PowerToys for Windows Vista
        <http://www.microsoft.com/technet/technetmag/issues/2007/06/UtilitySpotlight/default.aspx>

Even if not directly relevant its interesting reading.

Regards ... Alec

• Brian Smith

Brian Smith - 2007-07-05

Thanks for the link, Alec. I'd not seen that article before.

There has also been a lot of discussion about this problem in the NSIS support forum. After some experimentation I have managed to use one of the suggested solutions to make an installer that lets a standard account user install POPFile in the same way as it installs on older versions of Windows.

But I still need to sort out how the installer handles the registry etc. During my research I came across a utility that might help show me what needs to get modified. All I need to do is find that utility - my development files are currently split over two machines and the files I want always seem to be on the other machine ;)

Brian

• Brian Smith

Brian Smith - 2007-07-03

>> OK, I'll write something about 0.22.5 and Vista. <<

I've created a new page in the wiki at http://popfile.sourceforge.net/wiki/howtos:vistacompatibility and added some links to it.

I have also started modifying the installer to make it work properly when it is used from a standard account in Vista.

This new installer should be ready by the weekend.

Brian