Moving the docs to a different wiki?

Manni
2007-01-18
2013-04-15
  • Manni
    Manni
    2007-01-18

Hi!

I had some time in recent days and came up with a little script that transforms the pages in our present usemod wiki to pages suitable for a dokuwiki-based system.

I just finished installing dokuwiki on our sf webspace and here's the result:

http://popfile.sourceforge.net/dokuwiki/doku.php

I must say that I'm quite happy with this. Some conversion errors still need fixing, but that shouldn't be too much work.

Dokuwiki offers many advantages over usemod:
    - much better spam protection
    - easier editing: the editor has a little toolbar that gives you control over formatting without knowing anything about the syntax.
    - Self-sign-up. New users can create their own accounts. Currently, this is theoretical and I'm not sure whether I can make this work on sf.net.
    - Namespace support. We might use this one for translations, e.g.
    - Easier administration.
    - Dokuwiki is being actively developed. Bugs will be squashed and security holes closed.

I should also quite easy to replace the current wiki script with a little script that redirects to the new wiki, so old links will not break.

Any thoughts?

Regards,
    Manni

• Brian Smith
      Brian Smith
      2007-01-18

Good work, Manni!

I like the way DokuWiki shows code snippets (especially because NSIS is one of the languages it recognises <g>).

Perhaps changing to new wiki software will generate some more interest in the wiki? Ever since John was forced to introduce passwords wiki updates seem to have slowed dramatically.

>> Some conversion errors still need fixing, but that shouldn't be too much work. <<

An overhaul is long overdue - some information is duplicated and some is hard to find, as some recent threads in the HELP forum have shown. Reviewing the results of your conversion could help improve things and DokuWiki's editor makes it so much easier to change things.

Brian

• I think this looks like a great move, and I would love to be able to drop the password.   How fast do you think we can switch over to the new software?   If we do start getting spammed what tools will we have to fight it?

John.

• Texas Fett
          Texas Fett
          2007-01-18

Since we can require users to setup logins with email verification, spam should not be a big problem.

In addition, the wiki features Delayed Indexing of new changes, it puts a noindex meta tag on the page for a while after a change so if the change was spam it would not be indexed by search engines before giving time to clean it.  Keeping the wiki spam free is the best way to avoid new spam since lazy spammers look for existing spam to find good places to spam.  Delayed Indexing is a good way to ensure that.

It also uses rel="nofollow" tags on external links to make spamming less useful though that doesn't not stop it.  The wiki was also the first to build in support for the chongqed.org blacklist.

I looked through the revision history of the development wiki and found no revisions marked as reverting spam.  There were a number of revisions undoing stupid vandalism and out of place testing, but nothing that bad.

• Texas Fett
            Texas Fett
            2007-01-18

I meant to say I found no spam on their wiki this year.  They do get occasional spam which the head developer usually submits to the chongqed.org blacklist quickly.

• Manni
          Manni
          2007-01-19

I think we could switch over immediately. I will come up with a replacement for our current wiki.pl script that gives us a 301 to the new wiki.

As Joe already pointed out, spam should not be a big problem. Although it seems that we won't be able to require valid email addresses for registration as long as we are on sourceforge, we can still require registration. That leaves us open for manual spamming which has become very rare. We still have the chonged.org blacklist to check posted links against. If all of that doesn't help, reverting a spammed page requires only two mouse clicks.

Manni

• Manni
        Manni
        2007-01-19

> I like the way DokuWiki shows code snippets

Yes! Me too. Totally forgot about this when I tried to come up with a list of advantages, though.

For those who don't know what we're talking about, here's an example:
        http://popfile.sourceforge.net/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=popfilemodules:xmlrpc

• Manni
        Manni
        2007-01-19

>>>> Some conversion errors still need fixing, but that shouldn't be too much work. <<<<

>> An overhaul is long overdue - some information is duplicated and some is hard to find, as some recent threads in the HELP forum have shown. Reviewing the results of your conversion could help improve things and DokuWiki's editor makes it so much easier to change things. <<

Guess it is a good thing that my conversion script isn't perfect then ;-)

• Texas Fett
      Texas Fett
      2007-01-18

While we are rewriting URLs, can we rewrite them so they appear like:
      http://popfile.sourceforge.net/wiki/pagename
      instead of:
      http://popfile.sourceforge.net/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=quickstart

Support Apache's rewrite is built in, but will depend on SF.net allowing it.  They have two ways to do rewriting so if we can't do that we can still not have the ?id= part.

http://wiki.splitbrain.org/wiki:rewrite?s=link%20rewriting

• Texas Fett
        Texas Fett
        2007-01-18

After we figure out how we are handling languages now, we can also redirect the Manual pages to the wiki for languages that have been translated?  Or just totally dump the Manual and redirect everything.

• Manni
          Manni
          2007-01-19

I think we should just redirect everything. We can have a look at the translations later and if we think that they are still valid, we can easily link to them from the start page of the wiki.

Manni

• Manni
        Manni
        2007-01-19

That's a good idea and I will try to get this working. Don't know whether sf will like that or not, though.

Manni

• Manni
      Manni
      2007-01-19

The doku wiki install has a new URL:

http://popfile.sourceforge.net/wiki/

Could somebody please have a look at the Japanese documentation? I noticed this morning that the encoding was broken. I added some encoding tricks to my conversion script and they now look ok. I just need somebody who can actually read Japanese to verify.

Manni

• Brian Smith
      Brian Smith
      2007-01-20

I noticed that some pages on the "new" wiki appear to have been recently modified by Manni and Joseph so I tried to register. No confirmation email arrived.

If registration does not work why is there no mention of this on the registration page? It should be made clearer that at present only a very select group is allowed to edit pages.

Brian

• Manni
        Manni
        2007-01-20

Hi Brian,

registration should work and you should be able to log in. Sending confirmation emails doesn't seem to work from sf hosting, but we can (and should) change the text on the registration page accordingly.

Manni

• Brian Smith
          Brian Smith
          2007-01-20

>> registration should work and you should be able to log in <<

The registration page only asked me to enter my name, a username and my email address - so how can I log in without knowing a password? I thought the confirmation email was supposed to supply the password.

When I tried to log in I get a "Sorry, username or password are wrong".

I went back to the registration page and now it has two password boxes (which were not there when I first registered) so I tried to register again. Now it tells me my username already exists so I cannot register with my preferred username (xuesheng).

Brian

• Manni
            Manni
            2007-01-20

Sorry for the confusion, Brian.

I deleted xuesheng and you should now be able to register as planned.

Manni

• Brian Smith
              Brian Smith
              2007-01-20

>> I deleted xuesheng and you should now be able to register as planned <<

Thanks for fixing it, Manni.

I'm now able to log in ... but now I cannot remember which page I wanted to edit!

Brian