IMAP additions to the engish Wiki

David Lang
2004-05-31
2004-07-26
  • David Lang
    David Lang
    2004-05-31

as part of the documentation of the work being done for the IMAP support I added a section to the experimental page of the wiki to talk about IMAP support.

currently it has three pages
    1. how to set it up
    2 proposed development roadmap for refrence
    3. a page to trace server implementation details

I don't know anything about the procedure for translating these into the other languages, or even how you want notifications to get to you that things there have changed.

also there was an extra wiki page created with no link to it in the process, I think it was the same as the roadmap page, but up one 'directory' level

• Manni
      Manni
      2004-06-01

I flagged the extra roadmap page for deletion. We can forget about that one.

Whether any of the IMAP stuff should be translated right now, I don't know. It is certainly prone to change.

Manni

• James
      James
      2004-06-24

Would now also be a good time to start collecting information about how various IMAP clients behave when connecting through PF (and any quirks to watch out for)?  I've got a few comments based on 3 different clients - should I just go ahead and start a heading in the Wiki say immediately after 'Archive of IMAP server information' on the Experimental modules page

If we start getting this on now it should reduce the posts to the help forum when IMAP is launched.

James

• Manni
        Manni
        2004-06-24

Very good idea. Please go ahead. I'm going to see whether I can add anything useful.

Thanks,
        Manni

• Manni
        Manni
        2004-06-25

Thanks!

Manni

• jridge
        jridge
        2004-06-25

Good idea James.  I added info on Thunderbird and Horde/IMP.

PeterJ

• Gwen Morse
        Gwen Morse
        2004-07-25

I'm a non-development user who happened to hunt down the a copy of the experimental exe installer to use the IMAP module.

So, effectively, I'm one of the normal users who would normally be flooding the help forum when the module _is_ released. :)

I found the Wiki config information helpful except in two ways:

It seemed to be lacking a mention of switching from the advanced tab to the configuration tab after activating IMAP in the first place (you have to change one attr from 0 to 1 to turn on IMAP). Since it then says something about filling in the server and inbox information and you can do that from the advanced page, I filled in all my information there. So, I couldn't find the button to refresh the list of folders on the server until I clicked around and realized I was on the "wrong" page. A statement to the effect that you're supposed to change tabs after activating IMAP would be useful :).

The second issue is that I can't find _any_ directions on how to actually configure any client to work with the IMAP interface (not on the wiki and not on the boards). While I understand that you wouldn't have explicit instructions with screenshots for each major client, at least a _mention_ of an abbreviated form of the process on the IMAPClients wiki page would be handy. At this point, I'm not certain if I'm supposed to configure it exactly as I would the POP3 version of Popfile, or if there's an alternate way of interfacing.

I have to say the IMAP config page was very useful and well-written besides that one missing item of information. I think it will be very helpful to people who want to integrate their IMAP accounts into Popfile, once its released to the public.

Gwen Morse

• Manni
          Manni
          2004-07-26

Thanks for the hints, Gwen.

I'll try to update the wiki page to give that information. I'll also add a note saying that you don't have to reconfigure your imap client in any way to make it work with POPFile's imap module.

Manni

PS: Of course, you are always welcome to go ahead and improve anything on the wiki that you think needs improvements.