Pre-existing T-Bird filters work with Popfile

Help
2007-10-06
2013-04-15
  • XCannonCocker
    XCannonCocker
    2007-10-06

Have used T-Bird for a number of years and have configured a number of filters to use not only for junk/spam mail but for general housekeeping (to include mail labels/tags) I had noticed that T-Bird's junk filter was no longer quite so effective as once it was.  Installed the newer version of Popfile hoping that it would do the trick. So far so good.  Unfortunately, Popfile seems to have overridden/negated the existing T-Bird message filters.  I understand it taking precedence. However, I would like my other filters to work as well.  (I really like sorting and labeling my mail for easy location.) 

How do I set up Popfile to use my preexisting message automation? 

Thanks!

• Alec Burgess
      Alec Burgess
      2007-10-06

XCannonCocker : > How do I set up Popfile to use my preexisting message automation?

This is just the broad brush approach - Ask if you have questions afterwards.
      You need to customize in two places:

First: to make the X-Text-Classification and X-Popfile-Link show in your headers when looking at email preview pane. (See "Customize" when you click the option chooser left of the Subject:) You can alternate between two header views Brief and myView by double clicking it and only open it when you find one mis-categorized.

Second: to make the X-Text-Classification available for making filtering decisions in Message Filters. (See "Customize" when at the bottom of the dropdown list for filter-type (eg. Subject, From, To or CC). After doing this you can re-work your filters to make decisions on any combination of the info you currently use and the classification assigned by Popfile.

Supplementary:
      There is an extension for Thunderbird called Thunderbrowse which allows opening of a browser view as tab(s) in the Preview pane. I've got it setup so that single click on a link opens it a tab in the Thunderbird pane and middle click opens it in Firefox. This works BEAUTIFULLY with Popfile! When you've got the expanded header view shown you can just click on the X-Popfile-Link and it opens the Popfile UI allowing immediate reclassification.

Additional: Here's the list of Thunderbird extensions I have installed. Its possible some of what I described above in addition to Thunderbrowse depends on one of them - I'm often unsure which behaviors are being provided "natively" and which by one or more of the extensions I'm using. - in both Thunderbird and Firefox :-)

Last updated: Sat, 06 Oct 2007 23:33:42 GMT

User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.6) Gecko/20070728 Thunderbird/2.0.0.6 ThunderBrowse/3.1.5 Mnenhy/0.7.5.666

*** Extensions (enabled: 55, disabled: 9; total: 64)
      Allow HTML temp 1.0.1
      Attachment Tools 0.5.4
      Buttons! 0.5.3.2
      Check and Send 0.7.20
      Contacts Add BCC button 0.0.5
      Copy Link Name for Thunderbird 0.3
      Copy Sent to Current 0.7.7
      Correct Identity 1.3.1
      Delete Junk Context Menu 0.3.2.1
      Display mail route 0.2.2
      Display Mail User Agent Extension 1.3.2
      Display mailing list header 0.3.2
      Edit HTML Source 0.0.1
      Fix Tb Titlebar Extension 0.5.0
      Folder Selection (Thunderbird) 0.1.0 [disabled]
      Folderpane Tools 0.0.5.1
      Grippies 1.0.1 [disabled]
      header scroll extension 0.3.2
      Image Zoom 0.3
      InfoLister 0.9f
      Leak Monitor 0.3.6
      Link Properties for Thunderbird 0.2
      Mailbox Alert 0.12 [disabled]
      Menu Editor 1.2.3 [disabled]
      MessageID-Finder 2.0.0
      Mnenhy 0.7.5.666
      Mouse Gestures 1.5.2
      Move Search Items 0.0.7
      MR Tech Local Install 5.3.2.5
      NestedQuote Remover 0.7.15
      No New Window on Double Click 0.2.3
      Nostalgy 0.2.15
      Quick Reply Extension 0.5.5 [disabled]
      QuickFolders 0.4
      Quicktext 0.9.9.9
      Quote Colors 0.2.8
      QuoteCollapse 0.7
      Rewrap Toolbar Button 1.0.0
      RunFilterOnFolder 0.0.7
      Show fixed-width temporarily 0.6
      Show InOut 0.4.3
      Signature Switch 1.5.4
      Table2Clipboard 0.0.2.1
      Talkback 2.0.0.6
      Tb AutoSave Extension 0.1.6 [disabled]
      TB Change From and Fcc on Compose Extension 0.3.8 [disabled]
      TB Header Tools Extension 0.6.6
      TB In-line Spell Checker 0.4.75 [disabled]
      Tb Progress History Extension 0.1.2 [disabled]
      TB QuickMove Extension 0.4.3
      TB Reset Quote Header Extension 0.4.3
      Text size toolbar 0.6.2
      Text Veil 0.0.4
      Thunderbird Keys 0.1
      ThunderBrowse 3.1.5
      Toggle HTML 1.1.11
      Toggle Word Wrap 1.0
      Toolbar Buttons 0.4.1.4
      toolbarmode 0.6.6.1
      View Headers Toggle Button 2.0.1
      ViewSourceWith 0.0.9
      withAttach 2.1.2
      Zoomy 2.0
      [Un]read 0.5

• John Halloran
      John Halloran
      2007-10-09

> Installed the newer version of Popfile hoping that it would do the trick. So
      > far so good. Unfortunately, Popfile seems to have overridden/negated the
      > existing T-Bird message filters. I understand it taking precedence. However, I
      > would like my other filters to work as well. (I really like sorting and
      > labeling my mail for easy location.)  
      >   
      >  How do I set up Popfile to use my preexisting message automation?  

POPFile doesn't overide or negate any T-Bird filters. It just tags messages with either an x-header or modifies the subject line based on your choices.

If the T-Bird filters aren't working as you hoped, look at both the order of the filters and the filters themselves. Putting the POPFile filter last might give very different result than if it runs first depending on the filter's contents.