Installation Hangs

2007-08-01
2013-04-15
  • Tried to upgrade from v22.4 to v22.5 on Windows XP/SP2 computer.  Using Outlook Express and did not select any of the options during the installation setup.

Installation gets to this dialog box and freezes the computer:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Add POPFile User v0.3.9
      Email Client Configuration
        POPFile can reconfigure several email clients for you

Click Next to continue
       (Progress bar shows installation is complete -- green bar to right side)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is no "Next" button and the computer is frozen.  I can't even access the task manager (ctrl/alt/delete) but the clock keeps running.

I have to do a hard (manual) restart on the computer.

I tried the installation twice with the same result.  Even though the computer hangs he installation seems to have worked. 

Any suggestions?

• Brian Smith
      Brian Smith
      2007-08-01

>> Installation gets to this dialog box and freezes the computer <<

Did a small banner saying "Please be patient. This may take a few seconds..." appear in the centre of the screen?

The search for email clients can take a few seconds on some computers so the installer disables the NEXT button and displays this banner during the search. Once the list has been compiled the banner is removed and the NEXT button enabled. Normally this banner will appear and disappear very quickly (i.e. in less than a second).

Did anything appear in the space between the "It is strongly recommended that accounts which require authentication are configured manually." and "IMPORTANT: PLEASE SHUT DOWN THE RECONFIGURABLE EMAIL CLIENTS NOW" text on the installer page?

>> I tried the installation twice with the same result.  Even though the computer hangs he installation seems to have worked. <<

That dialog box is generated by the "Add POPFile User" wizard (adduser.exe) which gets installed in the same folder as the POPFile program. You can simply run adduser.exe instead of re-running the POPFile installer to display the email configuration pages again.

>> I have to do a hard (manual) restart on the computer. <<

It is possible that something has gone wrong when the installer tries to display the banner message. When adduser.exe runs it creates some temporary files which are normally deleted when the wizard finishes. Restarting the computer should have left some of these temporary files behind.

When the installer (adduser.exe) runs it creates a temporary folder with a name similar to "nsu2264.TMP" in your temporary files folder. The folder created by the installer contains several files; the two files in which I am interested are called pfi-cfg.ini and ioF.ini. If you post them here or send them to me (sugelan at gmail dot com) I'll see if I can explain what went wrong.

Brian

• Brian,

I sent you an email but here is most of what I sent:

When I did the installation, I did see the box about being patient.  I let the computer "think" for about 10 minutes during the freeze before I gave up and did a manual reboot (both times I tried the installation).  I don't recall seeing the message about "Please shut down the reconfigurable email clients now" but I could have missed it.  Outlook Express was not open during the installation but some service, etc. could have been running.

I cannot find anything similar to "nsu2264.TMP" or pfi-cfg.ini and ioF.ini anywhere on C: drive (show hidden files and folders is enabled if it matters).

I am enclosing the install.log (in the email) if that is of any help.

I have not run "adduser.exe" for fear the computer may lock up while I am sending this email but I will try it later.

• Brian,

I disabled Windows XP Firewall, Nod32 AntiVirus, and Webroot SpySweeper; then I ran adduser.exe.  I got to the same dialog box and the computer froze again.  So, I rebooted into safe mode and tried adduser.exe again.  This time it ran as it should have.  Obviously POPFile doesn't like something on my computer.  After a reboot into normal mode, POPFile seems to be working just fine.

Thanks for your help,

Michael Parkinson

• Brian Smith
      Brian Smith
      2007-08-03

>>  So, I rebooted into safe mode and tried adduser.exe again. This time it ran as it should have. <<

I should have read this before I sent you my message about the banner DLL. This has given me something else to think about.

Brian