Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Feature request: don't download messages

archimede
2007-10-14
2013-04-15
  • archimede
    archimede
    2007-10-14

Hi all.

I've been using POPFile for a couple of months and I'm really satisfied with it (currently Accuracy is at 97.7%).

There's only one thing that's really bugging me: having do manually delete all spam messages.

I am therefore proposing the following (hopefully easy to implement) enhancement: Quarantined messages (or maybe a new option should be created) should not be sent to the client (unless later reclassified).

A button "Remove from Server" in POPFile Control Center would just be icing on the cake. ;)

What do you think?

Alessandro

• Manni
      Manni
      2007-10-15

This is a request that we get very often. But we think that it would be wrong to implement such a feature for various reasons:

* POPFile does a pretty good job, but it is by no means perfect. There will always be false positives and we don't want POPFile to delete messages all by itself. In our opinion this is the responsibility of the user.

* If you think that POPFile is perfect, you are free to define a filtering rule in your mail client that simply deletes all messages classfied as spam. Almost all clients support this and on most clients it is pretty easy to do.

* Hiding message from clients is not as trivial as it might seem at first. POPFile works as a POP3 proxy and it doesn't in any way try to fool mail clients. It simply takes the commands the clients send to the server and relays them and it will only slightly alter the data coming from servers. This is tricky enough. Fooling the clients would be quite difficult and given the reasons from above, would simply not be worth the trouble.

Manni

• archimede
      archimede
      2007-10-15

Hi Manni and thanks for your answer.

>>> we don't want POPFile to delete messages all by itself. In our opinion this is the responsibility of the user. <<<

That's why I'm proposing a button instead of blindly delete the messages. I mean, when the I purge POPFile History I (should) already know that what is marked as Spam can be safely deleted, so why not removing it from the server as well?

>>> Hiding message from clients is not as trivial as it might seem at first. <<<

Too bad, I thought it would have been fairly easy... I understand it might not be worth the hassle.

Regards.

Alessandro

• archimede
      archimede
      2007-10-15

One last note:

>>> If you think that POPFile is perfect, you are free to define a filtering rule in your mail client that simply deletes all messages classfied as spam. <<<

That could be an idea but in this case, if I reclassify a message, there should be an option to instruct POPFile to re-send it to my client (and I'm afraid it wouldn't be easier than not downloading the message in the first place).

Alessandro