From: Alan W. Irwin <irwin@be...> - 2003-02-02 03:58:28
The original motivation here was to get rid of all the X stuff that was no
longer needed in sysloc.in as discussed on list. But then I noticed more
and more stuff that was also unneeded ("find . -name Makefile.am |xargs grep
symbol" is your friend) and removed that as well. The result is a file size
reduced by 28 per cent! Thus, be sure to cvs update before changing this
file yourself because I expect otherwise you will get a large number of
I expect our resulting configure files will be substantially smaller, and
our Makefiles will be slightly smaller, but the real benefit here is it
is much clearer how we are configuring things.
I tested the result by building and installing PLplot with essentially all
drivers (including gnome, ntk, etc.) and all front ends with double
precision for the two cases of static and dynamic devices. For both
configurations I ran plplot-test.sh successfully. In fact, for the static
device case I also ran plplot-test.sh --device=png and the resulting 352 png
files were identical to the plplot-5.2.0 test for the dynamic driver case.
So I think all is well (famous last words....)
By all means, please get out there and test that assertion by hammering the
result for as many platforms as you have access to. I have been repeating
this mantra a lot recently, but I really want to see substantial and
thorough testing for 5.2.1 before we release it.
I have a lot of time to make up in my job so that is all I am planning to do
with PLplot before 5.2.1 release (April 5th if that is convenient for all of
you) except to test *your* changes and also update the documentation (which
was not done for 5.2.0).
Alan W. Irwin
Astronomical research affiliation with Department of Physics and Astronomy,
University of Victoria (astrowww.phys.uvic.ca).
Programming affiliations with the Canadian Centre for Climate Modelling and
Analysis (www.cccma.bc.ec.gc.ca) and the PLplot scientific plotting software