From: Rafael Laboissiere <rlaboiss@us...> - 2004-02-15 12:34:09
People following plplot-cvs noticed that I started to work on a new CVS
branch called CFDIR. This is a project that I have discussed with Maurice
privately some time ago. I decided to work on a branch now because I will
do substantial changes on the Autotools support files.
The goals of this project are:
* Port the Autotools support to libtool 1.5.2 and automake 1.8.2
* Modernize and clean up the Autotools support completely. This
+ all Autotools related files, besides configure.ac and the
Makefile.am's, will be in the cf/ directory.
+ The diversions at the beginning of configure.ac will disappear. The
configure.ac will start with AC_INIT, as it should be, canonically.
* The code distributed illogically among configure.ac, sylsoc.in and
docbook.m4 will be reorganized in smaller chunks and put in
cf/tcl.ac, cf/python.ac, cf/gnome.ac, etc.
* Import of third party m4 macros will comply with the new mechanisms in
* New mechanism for definition of configure options and default values
* Uniformization of macros names defined in acinclude.m4 (e.g., using
the PL_ prefix)
These changes are aimed at increasing the maintainability of the Autotools
support which, although functional, is still not totally modern, besides
being pretty chaotic and daunting for new developers.