Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Unable to get Xwin display on cygwin

Help
2012-04-07
2013-03-15
  • Alan G Jones
    Alan G Jones
    2012-04-07

I am an ultra-newbie, so please forgive the very basic level of my query. I am trying to get plplot output to an X terminal window, and I can't seem to be able to do it.

I downloaded and installed plplot 5.9.9 a few days ago on my cygwin installation on a windows 7 laptop. I have Xwin installed, and get other apps using X11 fine (eg xterm, grace).

I used:
    cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=install -DENABLE_tk=ON -DENABLE_tcl=OFF -DBUILD_TEST=ON ../plplot-5.9.9

Everything seem to go fine, and I got:
    - Looking for XOpenDisplay in /usr/lib/libX11.dll.a;/usr/lib/libXext.dll.a - found
    - Found X11: /usr/lib/libX11.dll.a
    - X11_FOUND = 1
    - X11_INCLUDE_DIR = /usr/include
    - X11_COMPILE_FLAGS = -I/usr/include
    - X11_LIBRARIES = /usr/lib/libX11.dll.a;/usr/lib/libXext.dll.a
    in the output from cmake.

Then I did the "make" and "make install". Again, everything seem to be fine and no complaints.

When I go though to examples/c (or examples/f77 or examples/f95) and run x01c, the menu that comes up doesn't have a choice of xwin or xterm:
    PLplot library version: 5.9.9

Plotting Options:
    < 1> ps         PostScript File (monochrome)
    < 2> psc        PostScript File (color)
    < 3> xfig       Xfig file
    < 4> null       Null device
    < 5> mem        User-supplied memory device
    < 6> svg        Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG 1.1)

Enter device number or keyword:

If I choose "1" and get a ps file, it is correct with the four graphs.

I've been struggling with this for a couple of days now, trying new installs etc., but not getting anywhere.

Advice very much appreciated!

Alan Jones

• Cesar M Vieira
    Cesar M Vieira
    2012-04-16

Hello Alan,

I'm also a newbie, but I'm not sure if Xwin was successfully installed on your system, are you really sure?
    I didn't know well how you get it, but when I run a code with PLplot the first plotting option is Xwin. If you're not sure, maybe you have to search a package which contains Xwin. Since I'm newbie too, I think I can't help you, but if you have some problems about how to compile, I can send a code to you to test.
    Also I have a problem with Xwin because it flickers a little bit, but it's quite good.

César.