Searching for Title

Developers
2011-02-11
2013-04-25
  • Jean Jordaan
    Jean Jordaan
    2011-02-11

Hi .. at the moment it is cumbersome to search for titles of different types of documents.

If you have the field 'Title', it will find all types of docs.
    To narrow it, you would have to add a document type as constraint.
    But you don't know what type until the search is submitted.

So to get around this, you have to add computed 'ProjectTitle', 'PersonTitle', etc. for all the types of document represented in the form. This is wasteful and confusing.

Or you have to make the user select the type and enter the title, instead of just entering the title.

Feature suggestion: allow a formula to edit the query based on submitted field values before it goes to the Plomino index.

• Eric Brehault
    Eric Brehault
    2011-02-11

hello,

are you talking about Plone global searcj or about Plomino search form mechanism ?

eric

• Jean Jordaan
    Jean Jordaan
    2011-02-13

I'm talking about the fact that Plomino doesn't allow tuning the query that is sent to the catalog.

I.e. either you accept the automatic query based on the fields entered, or you filter using a (slow) formula.

• Eric Brehault
    Eric Brehault
    2011-02-14

yes that's right
    we could improve that

nevertheless, if you need a custom search, then a Form page with editable fields for criterias and a computed for display datagrid is probably the most powerful and flexible way (rather than Search form)

eric

• That is true.

I'd still prefer to do search via a search form though, for the sake of simplicity (don't have to remember to hide save action) and consistency among search forms.