Scalability

Developers
2010-06-24
2013-04-25
  • Mike Metcalfe
    Mike Metcalfe
    2010-06-24

Hi,

I am tendering for a mission critical EDI project that has the potential of being a very large site (no estimates on docs created per year yet). I am thinking of using Plomino and would like to know if it is robust and scalable enough to use for such a project. I know plone is secure and can scale with multiple zeo clients but I have a concern that documents are all kept in the root dir of the database. Is this efficient and is there a way (or plans) to spread documents over multiple folders?

I will also have to indicate where Plomino has been successfully used before - is there a list of Plomino sites?

Mike

• Jean Jordaan
    Jean Jordaan
    2010-06-24

Switching the Plomino database to be a BTree or "Large" folder should prevent that being an issue.
    Plomino performance is quite dependent on your application design and access patterns. E.g. don't iterate over many documents; rather create views, which are updated incrementally as documents are created or edited.
    And be careful to perform heavy operations (such as a date refresh or adding a new index or running an agent over all documents) in a separate ZEO client.

I think Plomino is probably not good for applications with lots of churn (many docs being created and edited all the time).

• Eric Brehault
    Eric Brehault
    2010-06-24

Hello,

We do run some Plomino databases with 30 000 documents.

The most critical aspect regarding performances are the indexes. The Plomino index create indexes for:
    - all the indexed fields or fields used as column values
    - all the view selection formulas,
    - all the views column formulas,

So make sure to index only the fields you actually need for searching, and try to reduce the number of columns in your views and if a column is used in several views, do not make a formula column in each view but a computed field in the form and use this field as column value

You might also consider creating several Plomino databases instead of one unique db if it is possible regarding the application logic.

Regarding existing Plomino successful projects, you may find some here: http://www.makina-corpus.com/category/tags-generaux/plomino but it is in French and it does not contains the last ones, so best thing is to contact me directly:
    Eric BREHAULT
    eric.brehault@makina-corpus.com
    MAKINA CORPUS - www.makina-corpus.com
    Tel : +33 (0)9 50 46 37 03

Eric

• Mike Metcalfe
    Mike Metcalfe
    2010-06-24

>>We do run some Plomino databases with 30 000 documents.
    Does it have a lot of 'churn'? And how many zeo clients does it run on?

>>.I think Plomino is probably not good for applications with lots of churn (many docs being created and edited all the time).
    This is the type of app I'm tendering for :-(