Check in/Out?

Help
Morgan
2011-05-26
2013-04-25
  • Morgan
    Morgan
    2011-05-26

Hi, I've been hired as a summer student and they introduced plomino to me for a project they want me on.

I've been ask to create a check in/out database for testing parts. I already understand how to make a form to add a product to the view list and everything, but I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how I'd make it a check in/out system?

I was thinking of making a specific check in/out form, but that would require a formula to change info on already made documents, wouldn't it? I'd appreciate any tips or pointers while I read these guides on python. Thanks. :)

• Eric Brehault
    Eric Brehault
    2011-05-26

Hello,

I do not know exactly how you imagine to provided this feature to your users, but a basic approach could be to add 2 actions to your form:
    - ChekOut, type Python Script, formula:
    plominoDocument.setItem('Status', "Out")
    plominoDocument.save()
    - ChekIn, type Python Script, formula:
    plominoDocument.setItem('Status', "In")
    plominoDocument.save()

you can display the Status item value wherever you want in your doc
    or in a view column

you also hide each action depending on the current Status vaue (using the hide-when formula)

in addition to saving the Status value, your actions could also set the current date and the current user into 2 others items

Eric

• Morgan
    Morgan
    2011-06-02

Thanks Eric. :) I'll try that. But I think from what I've been told is that they basically want another form that will allow others using the database to edit specific contents of already existing documents that the admin and I will create on the products so anyone can check it out when they need a product, or back in when they're finished using it.

Is this even possible? Thanks.

• Eric Brehault
    Eric Brehault
    2011-06-07

Ok I see.

Yes it is possible. You just need to create a new form containing only the fields you want them to be able to modify (you can also add the other fields if needed but as computed for display fields, not as editable fields).
    And you force the usage of this form like that:
    http://server/plominodb/the_doc/EditDocument?openwithform=your_specific_form
    or by setting a form formula in a view

Eric