I've been using Player on an iCreate (the research version of the Roomba)
and I noticed some strange behavior that happens as a result of having the
Command Module plugged in to the robot. Our setup had a laptop directly
connected to the robot, bypassing the Command Module. We were able to start
player successfully and connect clients as well. However, after a few
seconds (generally no more than 10-15, though there were sometimes
exceptions) the robot would stop responding. For instance, if using
playerjoy, the robot would move forward briefly and then stop responding to
input. The activity light on the iCreate's serial cable would also stop
blinking, indicating no data was being transferred between the robot and the
computer. Player itself would not show any errors (even with -d 9), and
would continue to accept clients. However, the robot would remain
unresponsive until restarting Player.
We were able to fix this problem by simply removing the Command Module. Even
if the module was turned off, we found this problem still occurred. For the
record, we were using Player 2.1.2.
I didn't see this issue documented elsewhere, so I wanted to send it out in
case it helps anyone in the future.