The new client for the free 3d fantasy mmorpg PlaneShift is now available. Download it from the project home page http://www.planeshift.it
Here are some of the improvements contained in this release compared to 019 :
- Duels aren’t deadly anymore. You will knock a player down and then you will receive a message asking if you want to kill the player or not.
- Banking: Players will now be able to open a personal bank account. Guildleaders will also be able to open a guild bank account and set permission who can access the account. Not enabled yet in-game.
- New characters will now enter a tutorial-world when they login.
- The Death Realm is now cursed! Not enabled yet in-game.
- Authors are now able to name their books.
- Only the author of a book or sketch can now edit it. This ONLY applies to books and sketches bought AFTER the .20 release!
- Equipping helmets will now remove the hair mesh.
- Various fonts were changed to ones with a better (GPL) license.
- Work started on taxing.
- Various maps now use the new "Lighter2" lightmap system for creating light and shadows.
- Various maps now use a newer 3d format (genmeshes instead of thingmeshes).
- More icons and meshes for items have been added.
- A tutorial area has been added for new players. The tutorial has to be completed by new players before moving to the game world.
- The tavern has been expanded.
Changes That Have Been Made.
- Mouserun has been enabled by default to aid new players. It can be turned off by un-assigning the "LeftClick" in Options->Controls->Keys->Camera->MouseRun.
- The order of the main menu icons has been changed to make it more intuitive. Obviously this will need getting used to for long-time players.
- Many changes and updates to the Planeshift Advanced Windowing System, this is the code backend of the graphical user interface.
- The book writing window now looks better.
- Chatbubbles are prettier.
- The last used spell is now highlighted in the spells window.
- When your name is mentioned the specific tab will now flash in way recognizable from the normal way.
- The tutorial window now looks better.
- Equipped items won’t show up in Buy/Sell window anymore.
- You can now have up to 200 shortcuts.
- You’re now prompted for a password when you try to delete your character.
- Various fixes to the graphical user interface.
- The item description window now shows item sizes.
- The total amount of trias is now displayed in the skillwindow.
- The guild invitation window always stays on top now.
- Several improvements for weather and especially fog.
- Fog now reduces your viewing distance, so it is actually "thick" now.
- Changes to most environment sounds, for fading and distance values.
- New sound setups for the Winch and the Bronze Doors.
- A new sound for the "DRCitadel" in the Death Realm.
Movement and Combat:
- You will get the “too tired” message at 10% stamina now.
- Stamina now regenerates faster when sitting.
- Natural armour is now counted as a bonus to normal armour, instead of something that is replaced when you equip bought armour.
- Now you cannot use “/attack 1” anymore but you should use “/attack bloody” instead.
- You won’t be able to lure NPCs anymore by just pressing the attack button.
- A toggle key for running/walking can be used when you have autorun enabled(r), you must enabled it under Options first.
- Passing a region border no longer stops you from running.
- Planeshift now uses version 1.2 of The Crystal Space 3D engine and the Crystal Entity Layer environment.
- Meshes, textures and materials are now deleted when they aren’t needed anymore, this improves memory usage.
- The client now loads less models and textures during startup causing it to launch much faster, they are loaded on-demand now.
- Many changes and fixes to map loading and unloading, making it better and faster.
- Some optimizations in network code to make the server faster.
- You can now trade while sitting.
- Players can now stack items together regardless of quality and creator.
- An error message on /unstick now displays how long you have to wait until you can use /unstick again.
- The /pos command for showing your position now shows your instance too.
- Advisors can now see who other advisors are.
- The timeout for advisor sessions has been doubled.