Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

define local directory for Shaders

Help
kedmond
2009-06-09
2013-04-25
  • kedmond
    kedmond
    2009-06-09

Hello,
        We are trying to install Pixie on a multi-user Linux machine.

We thought it would be easiest to let each user have their own personal shaders directory, rather than give everyone permission to access the /pixie/shaders/ directory.  How can I define a folder locally for rndr to look in when I run pixie?  Currently, in ~/.bashrc I have the following entries:

PIXIEHOME=/opt/pixie
    PATH=$PATH:$PIXIEHOME/bin
    LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:$PIXIEHOME/lib

Is there a special SHADER_LIBRARY parameter that I can define?  Thanks.

-Kazem

• Here are all the relevant environment variables:

PIXIEHOME       Pixie installation path
        SHADERS         Shader search path
        RIBS            RIB search path
        PROCEDURALS     DSO search path
        TEXTURES        Texture search path
        DISPLAYS        Framebuffer displays search path
        MODULES         Modules search path

Setting SHADERS to a local directory like ~/Pixie/shaders or similar should work.

The users can also specify a search path in their RIBs as
      Options "searchpath" "shader" ["&:~/Pixie/shaders"]

• kedmond
        kedmond
        2009-06-10

Thanks for the help!  I got the RIB file command "searchpath" to work:

Option "searchpath" "shader" "/home/user/PixieShaders"

However, I cannot get the environment variables method to work.  Here is what I have so far:

# Pixie stuff
        PIXIEHOME=/opt/pixie
        PATH=$PATH:$PIXIEHOME/bin
        LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:$PIXIEHOME/lib
        SHADERS=$SHADERS:/home/user/PixieShaders

The last line is the one for SHADERS.  Not sure what I'm doing wrong.  Thanks again.

-Kazem

• Are you using bash? You might need to use 'export' to have spawned processes access to the environment variables. E.g.

export PIXIEHOME=/opt/pixie
          export SHADERS=$SHADERS:/home/user/PixieShaders

• kedmond
            kedmond
            2009-06-11

Yes, I am busing BASH, but the export command does not work either.  I am able to launch pixie from the command-line by entering "rndr" so that local path variable is working out just fine, so that's a relief.  However, it tries to use the shaders located in /opt/pixie/shaders/.  I guess Pixie needs write permission for some reason since it hits and error using these shaders:

./test.rib (17): Error in shader "/opt/pixie/shaders/ambientlight.sdr" (0) ("syntax error") (v2.2.6)
            ./test.rib (17): Failed to find shader "ambientlight"

That's an example of the type of output we get.  It goes ahead and renders without the use of any shaders.  But we get the same error every time it tries to access a shader.  The permissions for the shaders are as follows:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  525 Jun  9 12:09 /opt/pixie/shaders/ambientindirect.sdr
            -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  280 Jun  9 12:09 /opt/pixie/shaders/ambientindirect.sl
            -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  433 Jun  9 12:09 /opt/pixie/shaders/ambientlight.sdr
            -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  248 Jun  9 12:09 /opt/pixie/shaders/ambientlight.sl

So only root has full access, and root can render.  Regular users only have read access.

Anyways, to sum up, I just can't seem to be able to define Pixie's SHADERS variable correctly.  However, the "searchpath" option worked very well.  I'll use that in the mean time.  Thanks again.

-Kazem

• As you've realized, recompiling the shaders will make it work.
              The "syntax error" is a little misleading when it's really just an old version and needs to be recompiled. I'll see if I can give it a better error message.

Pixie first searches the current directory, then $SHADERS, then $PIXIEHOME/shaders for shaders. Setting SHADERS still doesn't work for you?

AFAICT a 2.2.5 compiled shader should work with Pixie 2.2.6, since the last number is just a 'bugfix' number. Today Pixie requires an exact match.
              Any comment Okan, shouldn't a 2.2.x compiled shader work with Pixie 2.2.y?

• kedmond
                kedmond
                2009-06-12

Actually, I don't think the shaders in questions had ever been compiled on our system.  We had installed Pixie from source, and compiled shaders had been included.  They must have been compiled for a different system.

However, you are right, the SHADERS environmental variable didn't seem to avoid this issue.  Perhaps pixie saw the old/bad compiled shaders in its initial path search of /opt/pixie/shaders/ and then ran into the syntax error when using those, so it never got around to looking in my SHADERS directory.

I think our users will be using the /opt/pixie/shaders/ directory for the standard stuff (plastic.sl, matte.sl, ambientlight.sl, etc) and then use the Option "searchpath"... for their custom shaders.

I do really appreciate your quick replies.  Thanks!

-Kazem

• kedmond
      kedmond
      2009-06-11

Writing that last post made me realize that I had never told our system administrator to compile the shaders after installing Pixie.  He just did it and it works.  Compiling the shaders was the key!  Thanks for the help guys!  I'll be using that "searchpath" option for custom shaders.

-Kazem