Size limit on shader parameter arrays?

Help
2009-03-24
2013-04-25
  • WHiTeRaBBiT
    WHiTeRaBBiT
    2009-03-24

Hey everyone,

I've been in the process or rewriting MOSAIC's shader's to better handle large amounts of parameter data from Blender's material controls and have run into an issue with Pixie's shader compiler :-(
    I've elected to pass related sets of Blender control data in arrays through shader parameters, this has resulted in rather large arrays. The parameter thats giving me trouble is passing 250 varying floats containing 25 material settings for 10 textures. This technique seems to work fine in 3Delight, Air, and Aqsis.
    Is there a limit on the size of arrays passed through a parameter or is this a bug?

Thanks in advance,
    Eric Back (WHITeRaBBiT)

• Yes, there's a limit. I've added a patch to the tracker that removes the number of parameters and increases a preprocessor limit that I hit with another shader.

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2722418&group_id=59462&atid=491094

• WHiTeRaBBiT
      WHiTeRaBBiT
      2009-03-31

It works great, many many thanks Roine!!

I had decided to continue shader testing and development with the other renderer's until I found the time to track this down in Pixie's source myself later, however it would of taken several days (at least) just to figure out where to begin... this has saved me a lot of time and trouble :-)

Thanks again,
      Eric Back (WHiTeRaBBiT)