can't get show compiled

2006-05-05
2013-04-25
  • I have FLTK-1.1.6 installed in my system. But pixie's configurator didn't find it and compile pixie without show. Which FLTK version pixie requires? And how I can change FLTK dir in configuration?

• George Harker
      George Harker
      2006-05-06

I need to add proper support for arbitrary fltk directories.  For now, you can do something like:

export LDFLAGS=`fltk-config --use-gl --ldstaticflags`
      export CPATH=</path/to/fltk/includes>
      ./configure <your normal configure args here>

Which should make it work.  You need fltk with openGL support.

Cheers

George

• didn't help...
      Moreover 1.6.3 configurator can't find OpenEXR.
      I'll try to update whole system maybe it helps.

• Natacha
      Natacha
      2006-05-07

I compiled Pixie 1.6.3 a few hours ago and got a similar but maybe unrelated problem.

I have on my system the Debian packages libfltk1.1 and libfltk1.1-dev, corresponding to the version 1.1.7. I guess the files of these packages are in the default linux location, and I have specified nothing to ./configure. I don't have OpenEXR installed though.

Here is some parts of ./configure output:

checking for XOpenDisplay in -lX11... yes
      checking for XShmAttach in -lXext... yes
      checking for main in -lfltk... yes
      checking for main in -lfltk_gl... yes
      [...]
      checking for OpenEXR... no
      *** Could not run OpenEXR test program, checking why...
      checking for ANSI C header files... (cached) yes
      [...]
      ------------------------------------------------
      --->            FLTK not found.
      ---> You can download it from www.fltk.org
      ---> show will not be built.
      --->            OpenEXR not found.
      ---> You can download it from www.openexr.org
      ---> openexr display driver will not be built.

As I seldom use show, I did not care much about that, and went on compiling and installing, and I found that show was indeed compiled and installed, and works correctly. (In fact I looked at the whole ./configure output only after finding that show was compiled while it said it could not find FTLK.)

I do not know how this happened, and I do not really care as everything works fine, but you might want to have a look at that ./configure output inconsistency.

Natacha

• George Harker
        George Harker
        2006-05-07

Natacha

Thanks for the report - the status reported by configure is wrong due to a mistake (ie if show builds, fltk is avaiable), but it'll be fixed in the next release.

Thanks

George

• After some monimpulation with system pixie finds OpenEXR but now Pixie-1.6.* falls when i try to output trough exr display driver. Pixie-1.5.7 works well!

• George Harker
      George Harker
      2006-05-12

What kind of system manipulation did you have to do?

For various esoteric reasons, OpenEXR needs to be compiled by the same gcc version that was used for compiling Pixie.  If you're compiling your own Pixie , simply recompiling openEXR with the same gcc should give a working result. 

You can specify the location of the OpenEXR libs for Pixie if needed when configuring. 

If you still have issues, let me know what compiler version you're using, the configure options for openexr and pixie, and I'll see what I can do.

OpenEXR is still OK for me with 1.6.3 - so it's most likely a compiler / versions issus, rather than a code change.  The only thing that really altered for 1.6.3 which might affect things is that we now don't build static libs by default.

Cheers

George

• Without optimization CFLAGS pixie works well. Seems I need to rebuild OpenEXR with same flags.

• Ok. now I know where problem was. When I tryed to compile OpenEXR with same CFLAGS exrdisplay brokes too. Without optimization 1.6.1 works well. But 1.6.3 saves black image to exr file.

• George Harker
        George Harker
        2006-05-14

Out of interest,

Which CFLAGS did you use?

I use the following for release builds using gcc4 under OSX:

CXXFLAGS='-g -O3 -fno-strict-aliasing'

So actually, I don't set CFLAGS...

Let us know or add an entry to the compiler versions page on the wiki...

Thanks

George