Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

VT420 support

2008-03-03
2013-04-30
  • Bhaskar,

I notice that the console apps seem to require VT420 emulation. Putty supports this, but so far I haven't found a [easily installed] Mac console app that supports it. There is a version of Putty that can be installed via the Darwin Unix emulation (or something like that -- can't recall exactly), but I don't know if it's been brought up to date with Leopard. So, my point in mentioning this is to offer the suggestion that, down the road, perhaps the console apps can have their rendering engine tweaked to support a more common emulator, such as VT220, for us Mac users. ;)

Dennis

• K.S. Bhaskar
      K.S. Bhaskar
      2008-03-07

Dennis --

Actually, the console app (D ^DRV) works fine for me when I connect from an xterm (KDE konsole).  Under Settings/Size, I choose VT100 (80/24) and TERM is set to xterm in my host as well as in the PIP virtual machine.  There is a minor hiccup in the login screen, but once I am logged in (1/xxx), things seem to work OK.

Please don't fall in love with ^DRV - it will eventually go away to be replaced with something better.  Of course, the GT.M prompt will remain.

Regards
      -- Bhaskar

• Bhaskar,

Have You got any configuration for linux xterm. I use windows putty by wine, because it don't work when run xterm :( I try all of configuration from http://invisible-island.net/xterm/xterm.faq.html

Regards,
    MJ

PS: Sorry for my english, i am from Poland :)

• tmr
    tmr
    2009-12-21

Marcin,

There's also UNIX version of PuTTY. You can get it .

Its terminal backend is called 'pterm' and it can be used as a replacement of standard xterm/*term.

You only need to choose the right font to be able to display ^SCADRV properly.

Regards,

Tom

: http://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/latest/putty-0.60.tar.gz

• Tom,

I use also UNIX putty, but it not display properly with vt100 or vt420 emulation when i use ^DRV.

Could You write me what font do You use?? I work on Ubuntu 9.10 and default settings don't work :(

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    MJ

• tmr
    tmr
    2009-12-23

Marcin,

It should work with almost all dec-terminal fonts, but their behavior in PuTTY is not as good as with DECterm on OpenVMS :-(<br>
    So I currently use Terminus fonts on UNIX.

Here's a piece of my ~/.Xdefaults:
    <pre><code>pterm.Font: -xos4-terminus-medium-r-normal-24-240-72-72-c-120-iso8859-2
    pterm.BoldFont: -xos4-terminus-bold-r-normal-24-240-72-72-c-120-iso8859-2
    pterm.ScrollBar: 0
    pterm.ScrollbackLines: 2000
    </code></pre>

Everything works well; even if the line graphics does not display as on original VT420.

Tom

• Tom,

I don't have this fonts but i install everythings even additional terminfo

sudo apt-get install xfonts-terminus ncurses-term && sudo fc-cache

Here is my desktop with pterm, xterm, gnome-terminal and putty on wine (this is works fine) http://yfrog.com/1fterminalsp

Thanks for Your patience.

Marcin

• tmr
    tmr
    2009-12-23

Well, what do you get after entering the following command? <code>$ xlsfonts -fn '\*terminus\*'</code>

I expect the apt-get to add a new font path to your X11 configuration. Have you restarted your X server? If not, you can reload fonts without restart:
    <code>$ xset fp+ &lt;terminusPath&gt; ; xset fp rehash</code>

BTW, you can also try to copy some fonts from wine-base if you like the wine-putty's default one ;-)

Xterm (and many other *terms) will not work even if you have a correct font. There exists 'vt420' termcap record, but it never worked for me.

• Fonts works pretty well, but i think this is no problem with fonts. Maybe it is problem with termcap, but for now i will be use wine-putty. Maybe after christmas i will build xterm from src with termcap, terminfo :)

Thank You and Marry Christmas and HAPPY NEW YEAR 2010.