Any interests in a workling linux version?

2005-06-23
2013-04-16
  • I'm really interested in a working linux version. I just started to have a look at the problems and fixed some of them (e.g. the language problems). But in order to have them really fixed, I need to have some information about how everything is planed and how patches are accepted.
    (e.g. should only the ANSI version of wxPython be supported, or also the unicode version - which is the origin of many problems as the code seems not to be unicode-aware)

So is anybody of the maintainers interested in a working linux version and willing to help me out with some information?

• Perhaps we should create a linux fork of ABC 3.0.1 and start developing our own ABC Linux version?
      Since the developers doesn't seem to give a damn about the linux version.

• How about just becoming one of the developers?  Why do you need to make a fork and start a whole new project?  A lot of projects make two versions, and have different developers to do so.

• Neon Lightning
      Neon Lightning
      2005-08-07

personally i'ed love to see a linux version i would help but i have no coding skills other than html and qbasic niether of witch are useful

• Neon Lightning
      Neon Lightning
      2005-08-07

i'ed like to see deb and rpm files up for it

• Manuel Schmidt
      Manuel Schmidt
      2005-10-12

How is it going? Is someone working on a Linux version/expantion ? I would realy like to see one too. Though the 2.4.3 works actually ok, for me.

Is there an IRC Channel to join some discussion on this?

• Arno Bakker
      Arno Bakker
      2005-10-17

3.0.1b works out of the box on my (Centos) Linux system. 3.1.0 has some issues:

- You need to change "lang" to "Lang" in Lang/lang.py and Dialogs/abcoptions.py because Linux is case-sensitive and Windows is not.

- Crashes on opening detail window of torrent. I suspect this to be a bug in wxWidgets 2.6.1.0 (comes with wxPython). At least upgrading to wxWidgets 2.6.2 improves things.

- I experience some more crashes that appear to be caused by the pango library (part of GTK). I upgraded to 1.6 and that helps. Upgrading to 1.10.1 is a bit hard, as I need to upgrade GTK then as well.

• Szabolcs Nagy
      Szabolcs Nagy
      2005-10-22

hi i tried 3.1.0 on my ubuntu (breezy) linux and got the same:

i have wx-2.6.0-gtk-unicode and it has lots of bugs
      IMHO there are no big problems with the python source code.

my changelog:
      Lang/lang.py(29): "lang" -> "Lang"
      Dialogs/abcoption(501): "lang" -> "Lang"
      Dialogs/abcoption(449): item -> item.decode("iso8859-1") # HACK to read 'Fran\xe7ais'
      Dialogs/abcoption(497): if (sys.platform == 'win32'): # self.associate only present on win32

problems:
      tray icon causes pango-layout error:
          Pango-ERROR **: file pango-layout.c: line 4952 (pango_layout_iter_next_line): assertion failed: (iter->line_extents_link != NULL)

crashes after a while (usually < 30 sec) when torrent list is not empty (ie: downloading)
      different errors can occure (absolute unpredictably):
          python: cairo-ft-font.c:561: _cairo_ft_unscaled_font_unlock_face: Assertion `unscaled->lock > 0' failed.

(python:31316): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid cast from `GtkScrolledWindow' to `GtkWindow'

(python:31384): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_gc_set_foreground: assertion `color != NULL' failed
          Segmentation fault

The program 'python' received an X Window System error.
          This probably reflects a bug in the program.
          The error was 'BadLength (poly request too large or internal Xlib length erro'.
            (Details: serial 182280 error_code 16 request_code 1 minor_code 0)
            (Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
             that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
             To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line
             option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
             backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)

• Timothy Tucker
        Timothy Tucker
        2005-10-23

Just posted a new test build that incorporates some of your changes, although I tried a different approach for the unicode issues in abcoption.py.

http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=1372263&forum_id=303226

Could you see if this works just as well without having to call decode()?
        (it seems to work for me using the unicode build of wxpython under win32, so I'm hoping it'll also work under linux)